We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which winery?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Which winery?

I'm going to Hood River in a week. I'd like to visit 2 wineries while I'm there and don't have time to visit more. Will be looking for a good cab or merlot for my dad. I like riesling and white wines. Out of Pheasant Valley, Phelps Creek and Cathedral Ridge Wineries, which 2 are the best? Thanks for any advice.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which winery?

Aree you able to cross the bridge and visit Syncline? They have terrific wines and it is only about 15 minutes from Hood River. Their wines beat out all the three you mentioned.

Phelps Creek has a couple of good wines but the winery is a little tasting room in the middle of a golf course and not terribly scenic. One of their servers is downright rude but the rest of the staff is great!

Cathedral Ridge is in a beautiful setting with nice views and their wines are okay but I have never called any of them great. Nice place for a picnic lunch.

As for Pheasant Valley, my visits there have been like walking into the twilight zone. Staff have been very odd, wines so, so and the overall experience just weird. I went once and thought I would give it a second chance and the next experience was even stranger. I would skip it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which winery?

I feel pretty much the same as PDXWindJammer; the wines at any of those three aren't much to get excited about. I like Marchesi Vineyards' better, but don't recall if they produce any whites.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which winery?

Thanks PDXWindjammer and mistletoe. I definitely will go to Syncline. Weird about Pheasant Valley. I'm almost curious enough to check out the strangeness there but not this time.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which winery?

Another one to consider on the Washington side is Wind River Cellars. The wines are decent but the views from the top where the winery is located is spectacular!

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which winery?

Recently went to Cathedral Ridge and Marchesi. Loved the Marchesi wine and bought about 3-4 bottles to take home. Very good Sangiovese especially. Very small winery but very personable visit. Cathedral Ridge also very nice visit and scenically very good place to visit. Have not visited any wineries on the Washington side yet. Cathedral Ridge and Marchesi are located very close to each other. Just 5 min out of the town of Hood River. Couldn't direct you though as I wasn't driving nor paying much attention! Have fun.

Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which winery?

There are several tasting rooms in downtown Hood River. Also, the Gorge White House (just south of town) has a number of different wines available.

Level Contributor
36,634 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which winery?

We went to both Cathedral Ridge and Pheasant Valley last week. The wines at Cathedral Ridge were good, I liked the ones we tasted at Pheasant Valley better. We purchased a bottle of their Organic Pinot Noir and their Pear Wine, which is unique. Pheasant Valley has a nice tasting room, prettier than Cathedral Ridge but Cathedral Ridge has prettier grounds. Where did you end up tasting? :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which winery?

If you stop in at Multnomah Falls, we have "Wine in the Gorge" brochures.

Some are in the Fruit Loop in Hood River. Exit on #62 or 64 to see this. We like Viento wines. The guys are friendly and the wine good. If you are buying some, there is no charge for tasting. They are on the Fruit Loop which goes toward the exit on Highway 35.

If you like a scenic drive, and that is what most people like to do in the Gorge, then go towards Biggs, and visit Maryhill Museum, Vinyard, Orchard, Amphitheater, and winery. (we have that brochure too.) The drive is nice. The wines are good and the museum has what no one would imagine. It's classy.

min

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,215 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which winery?

Beachyfun has been and gone, mrsomindy ;-)

[June 28th]

10. Re: Which winery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 14, 2011