We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear encounters

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Bear encounters

How often do you encounter bears while hiking?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bear encounters

Not trying to scare you off here, but Oregon's Black Bear population (there are no Grizzly Bears in Oregon) has risen dramatically in the past several years. Wildlife experts estimate there are somewhere near 30,000 of the critters statewide. Yes, they can be found in all regions of the state.

That being said, bears would rather not be around humans and will stay out of your way if they can. They usually won't attack unless they are startled or feel threatened. If you see a bear cub, just leave the area. The mother is nearby and just the fact that you are there near her baby is reason enough for her to attack you.

It's also a good idea to make some noise while hiking. Sing, talk, whistle, beat the brush along the trail with your walking stick. This noise will most likely keep you from sneaking up on a bear.

I've spent over 35 years laying out and building trails, mostly west of the coast range, and have had many bear encounters, but I have never had one do anything but hightail it out of the area.

Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bear encounters

Regarding the above comment about bear scat, if you do see any (you won't) don't worry about identifying it; There aren't any Grizz left in Oregon.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,828 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bear encounters

As said you would be lucky if you see a bear. My brothers have lived around Porland for 40 yearsand I have never seen one on all my day hikes. I live near Olympic National Park and have probably seen bears about 15 times, but always in the back country and only once had a problem. I feel lucky to see them.

Washington
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bear encounters

It probably depends on where you are, I have a friend in Parkdale who has seen a bear twice this year. There was a bear in Hood River itself two winters ago...I only found out about it a year later, that was pretty rare though. It did swipe at a trashcan at our neighbor's house!

Raccoons and skunks abound in the area!

Your niece will be fine, just be safe and use common sense, including being aware that they are out there in the forest.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bear encounters

Mistletoe, then you've been in the Southern part of Rooster Rock? ;}

min

16. Re: Bear encounters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 14, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Hood River