We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel rates sky high?

Heidelberg
Level Contributor
30 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel rates sky high?

Hello,

i checked hotel rates for summer 2009 and found them to be sky high.

For example: Comfort Suites beginning of augist ist 200 Dollars an night.

I did stay there bofore: nice motel, but nothing special at all.

Is something going on there in summer or ist it just sky high tourist pricing.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel rates sky high?

Rates are definitely higher in the summer as Hood River is a world wide wind surfing destination.

There is a small place called Sunset Motel that I stayed in once while in town for a big wedding reception. The rooms are quite nice with balconies on the top floor with a view.

It was very reasonably priced, clean and friendly.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel rates sky high?

Summer lodging prices are *always* higher - the world over!

There is no question that "weekend" rates in Hood River increase dramatically for about six months of the year. Was that price for a weekend?

Here is the TA list of reviewed hotels/B&Bs in Hood River. I see three hotels and two B&Bs that are reasonably priced, with several under $100. These also get decent reviews, but of course they probably are not too fancy! Be sure to click the B&B tab also:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g51909-Hood_River_Ore…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel rates sky high?

Must be those "savory starts" breakfasts that comfort suites serves now. Those sausage patties are worth their weight in gypsum! Gypsum I tells ya!

I didn't believe you so I checked their website. $190-$220 per night next July. So at first I thought maybe that was a fluke so I changed the dates to this September. Sure enough, $170-$190 per night.

I've stayed at that place a few times before and it's definitely not worth that price. Perhaps you should do what I do and stay there for free with your credit card points, or call the hotel directly and ask for the manager's special. If neither of those options work for you, avoid paying that price for that property at all costs. Much better options for half of that price in Hood River.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel rates sky high?

As mentioned, summer is high season in Hood River. Especially if your timing is during the Gorge Games.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel rates sky high?

perhaps you might check on renting a house/cottage instead.

http://www.hrvacations.com

http://www.hoodriverhideaways.com

6. Re: Hotel rates sky high?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 09, 2009