We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help...

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
Itinerary help...

Still working on a plan. Myself, husband, adult daughter flying into PDX on a Sat in September. Had planned to stay 2 nights in Nob Hill area and take an all day tour to Columbia River Gorge, Mt Hood, Timberline Lodge. I’m now rethinking and wondering if we should self tour with 2 nights in Hood River?

We are heading to Newport on Monday for 1 night and then Cannon Beach etc for 3 nights and then a free day at the end of our trip, which is when I thought we could see Portland if not on the front part of our trip.

Thoughts please on tour or self tour with 2 nights in Hood River and then head to Newport etc.??

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
146 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary help...

Your new thought is spot on.

The CRGNSA is easy to tour and from there you could go up (on 35) to see historic Timberline Lodge and if you like mountain drives you might spend some time driving to Sisters, then on to Newport. This drive is 5-6 hours but we love it. Save a couple/three hours by backtracking to Portland then Newport.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
3 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary help...

I definitely agree with self touring but don’t understand why the two nights in Hood River. One makes sense as a sort of midway point of a Columbia River Gorge-Hood River-Mt. Hood Loop, but the sencond night there would have you backtracking. So I’d suggest either returning to Portland after visiting Timberline Lodge/Mt. Hood, or heading straight to Newport and adding a second night there. More to see in that area than around Cannon Beach (though Cannon Beach is.a great place to relax).

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary help...

MrsO and mgven thank you!

You’ve helped confirm what I was thinking. I very much like the idea of driving to Sisters!

I was thinking 2 nights in Hood River because of the first one being a long travel day from Illinois. I too, thought about the back tracking but it doesn’t seem like a deterrent to doing a self tour.

Your responses have helped greatly as I’ve been reading your posts and have gained a lot of info.

Thank you again

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary help...

Thanks you your suggestions I’m narrowing down some plans for our September trip.

As I mentioned, we get into PDX on a Saturday about noon.

Where is the best place/area to stay 2 nights if going you CRGNSA, Falls, Mt Hood, Timberline Lodge that’s not in downtown Portland as I doubt we will spend time in Portland on the front side of our trip.

Thank you, again

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
146 reviews
79 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary help...

I like R&R too after a long flight. CRGNSA is a pretty place to do that. Hood River is a nice town for a base.

If you quilt, Sisters is good for that. Right turn into Timberline and on the way out left turn-ish.

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Itinerary help...

MrsO- I like your suggestions!

One more question please. If we stay somewhere near Troutdale or the beginning of the CRGNSA can you make a few suggestions??

We’ve traveled to some great places over the years in the US but for some reason I’m struggling a bit with this one (not long enough)!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
146 reviews
79 helpful votes
7. Re: Itinerary help...

Troutdale sure isn't as pretty but Shirley's Tippy Canoe Restaurant is a favorite. She makes great breakfasts and for lunch a seafood Louis. Oyster shooters and cocktails too. On the Sandy River. Tad's Chicken n dumplins is on the river too. Busy, locals love it. There aren't many hotels there that I love but Edgefield is worth a stop in. I love it there but kind of austere with shared baths. They have wine tasting downstairs usually with a guitarist.

Reply to: Itinerary help...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted