We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

USA
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
154 reviews
worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

We will be driving from Bend to Hood River. Is it worthwhile to stop at the Timberline Lodge? I know it is a famous place but what is the attraction for someone who is not staying there? Is it the view of Mount Hood? Or the Lodge itself that is worth seeing? Thanks.

18 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

It's the lodge, the view, the glacier, seeing snow and skiers in mid summer, the food, the history. And the fact that your on the slope of Oregon's highest mountain...a living volcano.

Is that enough?

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

Yes, everything oregonpoppa said!!

Timberline Lodge, it's construction, the dedication by Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt, is Oregon history at it's finest. You will see exhibits and photographs in the main lodge that will amaze you :)' The beautiful architecture and building materials are famous for a reason.

Go, see and learn enjoy the incredible views, hike if able, or have a nice lunch at the lodge. The main dining room or a comfortable smaller area on the mezzanine are both pleasant. We are very proud of our Timberline Lodge and extend an invitation to you to explore it's many charms.

Edited: 8:26 pm, July 01, 2018
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
1 review
3. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

welcome,

if you have access to a boob tube and online, look for a PBS show called "Great Lodges". It will give you an idea on whats there.

good luck.

Washington, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
4. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

Evidently the above is a pretty old show and PBS no longer has it active. I did manage to put it on hold at our library cooperative.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
302 reviews
5. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

I'd recommend seeing it and not staying there which is exactly your situation. It is on the slope of Mt Hood and the natural setting is beautiful. The building itself is very interesting as even furnishings were handmade onsite by CCC workers. To top it off the food there is excellent. Going between Hood River and Bend I'd say it's a must see.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
6. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

I agree. Its one of those historic lodges worth going to.

And the food is great too.

USA
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

Thanks. We will definitely plan on doing this. If we stop for lunch, I see there are two restaurants -- the Cascade Dining Room and the Rams Head Tavern. It looks like the Cascade is a buffet and the Rams Head a la carte. Do you recommend one over the other?

Also, I see they sometimes give a tour of the lodge. I guess that would be worthwhile? Or are we just as well to walk around on our own?

Edited: 2:42 pm, July 05, 2018
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
8. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

It's been awhile since I had lunch at the lodge and when I did, it was regular sitdown service, not buffet. That may age me a bit. So, I checked the lodge website and it didn't give much useful info. The link above includes actual TA reviews that are quite recent. Apparently, the dining room only offers the buffet at breakfast and lunch (and one reviewer said it is $25 per person). The dinner service in the dining room is definitely upscale and expensive. I didn't find any specifics about what is offered in the buffet.

The Rams Head is definitely more casual. There used to be a pizza place in the lodge, but I didn't see mention of it on the website.

I'm sorry to see the full service option discontinued in the dining room. Although it was always more expensive than I wanted to spend, the food and service were excellent and the views great. I liked taking out of town guests there as part of our Mt. Hood Loop tour.

Perhaps, someone on the forum who has been there recently can offer more info.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

I have changed my mind about stopping at Timblerine, based on the advice of this forum. I am now wondering if you all think it is worth it to take the chairlift up the magic mile--has anyone done it? Didn't find any reviews on it. Family of 4. thanks.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
10. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

ptbecki ...I don't see anything in this thread that would lead you to decide not to stop at Timberline Lodge. Even the comments about maybe not overnighting there were accompanied by unanimous praise of the lodge and its setting on the mountain.

As for the chairlift, how do you think you'll get to it without stopping at the lodge? I'm sure you can find reviews, especially if you check out summer skiing at Timberline. Summer skiing is not for the amateur, though...whether on the magic mile or on the glacier.

Again, what "advice" on this forum led you to want to skip Timberline?

Reply to: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted