We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

hi, is it possible to do a hike in Timberline Lodge area (with normal shoes, not snow shoes) in late May? or is the snow still too much

thinking abt taking the Magic Mile chair lift up, to the endpoint Silcox Hut (i think), then hike down back to the main lodge. is the signage obvious? is it a 2.7 mi hike OW ? portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Mountainee…

also, where are the st bernard doggies on timberline lodge? is there a kennel somewhere?

thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

There will definitely be too much snow for you to hike in just regular shoes.

Edited: 8:39 am, May 10, 2014
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

thanks for the info again pdxwj,

what abt the hike around (1) Trillium Lake and (2) Mirror Lake + Tom, Dick and Harry Mountain

do i have to traverse through snow for those 2 hikes?

thanks

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

You will definitely encounter snow at Mirror Lake in late May. Tom, Dick and Harry will be even deeper snow. But Mirror Lake MAY be passable with hiking boots. I hiked in the spring one year and there was a lot of snow at the lake and part of the lake was still frozen. The snow underneath had melted and while I was hiking around the lake, the top surface of the snow broke through and I sunk down to my thigh. Wearing shorts, you can imagine this wasn't fun.

I am not sure about Trillium because I only go in the winter by snow shoes. You could always rent a pair of snow shoes at one of the shops in Sandy, strap them to your backpack and then use them if needed. Better safe than sorry!

I once did a hike on Mt Hood in late July. We didn't expect snow but there was a LOT of it and it would have been easy to get lost on that particular trail.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

hmm. thank you

sounds like i need a jacket AND may need to adjust my plan then. in that case, when is the best time to hike around those areas i mention? (as in, when does the snow - all or almost all - will melt?)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

The St Bernards are at the lodge itself. I believe they are owned by employees, though, so may not be there every day, although I think there is always one there. Their website probably has more info on them, or give the hotel a call.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

Is it safe to assume that you have explored the mountains near Seattle since you live there? Mt Hood will have somewhat similar weather and snow conditions. The US Ski team trains year around on Palmer Glacier. There is always snow on Mt Hood but there are areas where it melts completely. I have done the Paradise Trail from Timberline in mid summer and encountered snow.

If you really want to visit in late May and do some hiking, your best bet is to stick with hikes in The Gorge, Forest Park, Hoyt Arboretum, Washington Park, the coast range, Silver Falls, etc. Plenty of beautiful places to hike in May where you won't encounter snow.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

actually no. i just moved to WA not too long ago

this summer will be my first time exploring mts in WA as well. i guess from what you say, it sounds like snow melts at the same time for both mts in OR and WA, which means late july-sep is the best time to do such mt hikes.

thanks again for the tip!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

Welcome to the PNW! It is an area of incredible beauty that I am sure you will enjoy exploring.

Snow melt is dependent on several factors. Elevation, temperature, amount of direct sun all play a part. I typically don't do elevation hiking until mid or late July, depending on how warm it has been and what the snow pack was for the winter season.

Mirror Lake is one of my favorite hikes with the reward of a great view once you arrive at the lake. I recommend doing it on a week day or getting up early on a weekend because it is a popular hike and it can get crowded.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?

thank you! yes,i am learning a lot abt snow melt, tidal chart, etc after moving to pnw. if i cant make the loop around Mirror Lake or Trillium Lake this time due to high snow levels, then have to come back again later!

Reply to: Timberline Lodge - hike in late May? st bernard?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Government Camp