We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

Which Gold Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgetown, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

I depend on Tripadvisor reccomendations whenever I plan a trip. Please help me decide on the following....

We are trying to decide when would be the best time to visit Gold Beach, Oregon. We can't afford to make two trips at this time. We are comtemplating the possibility of relocating to this area if it suits both of our needs. So, our initial impression of Gold Beach, Oregon is very important. I would like to visit in August, which according to my research, is the hottest time of the season to visit this area. I would like to be able to compare the summer in Gold Beach to the hot Texas summers in which we presently reside. On the other hand, my husband has heard that the Winters in Gold Beach are very rainy. He is not sure if he would like to stay in an area that has so much rainfall and seems so gloomy to him. So, he wants to visit Gold Beach when it has the worst and most stormy weather, such as during the Winter.

So, what is the best time to visit Gold Beach? and Why?

Last year, we got caught in a very chilly mountain vacation in July. So, I am asking the following...

If we vist in the Summer, what should we plan on packing?

If we visit in the Winter, what should we pack in our suitcases?

Also, since we love fireplaces, we want to stay somewhere that has a fireplace on the beach. Should getting a place with a fireplace be a consideration when looking for a place to stay in the Summer in Gold Beach? ie Do people use their fireplaces at all in the summer in Gold Beach?

Thanks everyone for answering our questions about Gold Beach, Oregon.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

We go to coast at all times of year. A week in January may have a sunny day or two, for sure will have clouds and likely rain.

This is travel board and discussions about moving here don't really fit. Unless you want to get idea of what to see when here.

Georgetown, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

Sorry, I thought it was understood that we are only planning a vacation trip at this point. We have heard and read that the the Gold Beach area is very beautiful and we are very anxious to visit it soon. We also understand that the weather is very different than what we are used to. As I understand it, there are some great Winter storms to be witnessed while visiting the Oregon Coast. In addition,there are some people that I know who after visiting a place on vacation decided to relocate to that particular area, whether it be because of the climate, for a job, second home, or even for their retirement. Which is why I only mentioned it in the first place. I am only seeking information about a place that I have never been in order to take the best trip possible. Sorry, if I may have lead to any misunderstandings about my intentions.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

That's ok. I'll keep answers to the travel part.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

In winter you will need some sort of rain resistant jacket with a hood. and shoes that can stand the rain. I always have a couple of sweaters to layer. I grew up on coast so do not use umbrella, hard to use in the wind

Sure would be good if you could add a day or two. You really don't get good taste of coast jus going to Gold Beach and back.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

Go to www.weatherbase.com for historical weather statistics...not that Mother Nature pays any attention to what happened in the past. When you get to Gold Beach, however, find time to drive north along highway 101 to the yellow flashing light just before the bridge. Turn right and travel about 1/2 mile to the Indian Rive Cafe. Down-home cooking in a pleasant atmosphere...we stop there every time we take the coast route. There is an adjacent RV park, if you are into RVing.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

I shoulda said....look for Port Orford at the weatherbase web site. No listing for GB or Brookings. December and January seem to have the most days with rain, averaging 19 days each month. HOWEVER, having lived in Galveston and Houston, I can tell you that the word "rain" means something entirely different in Oregon than it does in Texas. No torrential downpours that leave cars floating in underpasses (of course, there are no under- or overpasses on 101 in southern Oregon. More mist and drizzle than rain.

There are some participants in this forum that live in southern Oregon...maybe they will jump in with hands-on experience.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

Another suggestion: www.wunderground.com. Enter Gold Beach (or Brookings, or....) and scroll down to seasonal averages.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

Hi, I've lived on the central Oregon coast for 25 years (and have spent a lot of time on the southern coast) , so can tell you first hand what the weather is like!

For your vacation visit to Gold Beach, I understand what your husband is saying and he is right -- the entire Oregon coast gets a LOT of rain. What is a lot? It averages about 65" to 70" every year. Some years we get as much as 100". It all falls between about mid-October through the first week in July, as summers tend to be mostly rain free although it may rain a little bit during the summer.

We also get several big storms every winter with wind speeds over 80 MPH. Many winters we have about a half dozen and sometimes we get winds of 100+ MPH, but that is usually no more than twice a winter.

We also do get torrential downpours, usually when the wind is blowing so hard the rain is literally coming down sideways.

It rarely freezes, though, as the southern coast is much warmer than the central and northern coasts in winter. Where I live it snows every year, usually at least 3-4 times, but I think snow on the south coast is quite rare.

So, with all that rain, you can see why we suggest most folks visit in the summer :-)

Summers - short as they are - are warm and pleasant with many more activities going on outdoors.

So what to pack depends very much on when you will be visiting! One thing to note, it seldom gets *hot*, although it will get to the upper 80's and even into the 90's maybe twice in the summer.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

Spring:

Blooming plants and crowds are light. Places that were closed for winter are opening. Back roads muddy and Hwy 101 probably will not have the winter damage fixed.

Summer:

Gold Beach is cooler than Brookings, which is where the main weather forecasts are for, so use wunderground.com for details. Even then, there are windy days, occasional rain. Unless you are in Brookings during the “Chetco Effect” I doubt anything around the coast will be anywhere close to Texas temperatures. Even August is cool by most standards, only once have I ever known the heat from inland to come to Gold Beach and make things actually hot. Brookings has it much more frequently, and is usually warmer.

Fall:

Not much change in colors unless you go inland. Crowds can get bad around the County Fair days so plan accordingly, as there are traffic jams in town.

Winters:

Changing weather with high chance of wind and/or rain. Many places closed during off-season. Wonderful ocean waves and you can have quiet drives and walks.

One note: be aware that Gold Beach uses what used to be called air raid sirens to call out emergency personnel (fire, ambulance and police), and there are tsunami warning tests too, the first Wednesday of every month at noon. Other than that test of 1 minute, do not panic and head for high ground UNLESS sirens goes on more than the 3 cycles.

Happy Travels!

Level Contributor
35,013 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When should we visit Gold Beach, Oregon? Summer? or Winter?

We were in Gold Beach for 2 nights last summer at Tu Tu Tun Lodge and loved it there! Dress in layers for the coast, have a wonderful trip! :)