We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea lion caves north of Florence?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WA
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
sea lion caves north of Florence?

I am taking a short three day vacation to Newport in May. I have never been to the Sea Lion caves just north of Florence and I was wondering if it was worth the visit. What would I expect to see? Are there quite a few Sea Lions out and about during May? Thanks for any help!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

It's definitely worth a stop, but unless you feel compelled to go into the worlds largest sea cave, I wouldn't pay the $8. You can see plenty of sea lions just walking around the outside.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

If you want to see sea lions close-up, drive down to the bayfront in Newport, and walk out onto the wooden pier right by the "Port Dock 1" restaurant. There are always sea lions there, and you stand about 15-20 feet above them.

Level Contributor
34,181 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

The sea lion caves are great fun and unique to the Oregon Coast, you should go! Also, don't miss the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. Have a great time on the Oregon Coast! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

If you're the kind who can't pass up a gift shop, by all means stop. But I agree with Den and half-Brit; you don't need to spend $8 to see sea lions. I like 'em best from the Newport docks too, where you have an opportunity to interact with them. One other reason to stop at Sea Lion Caves would be for the view to the north of Haceta Head. Take your camera!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

And if you pull over at a viewpoint just north of Sea Lion Caves, not only beautiful views, but, straight down, you may well see Sea Lions - for free and w/o the smell of the Cave. Perhaps this is Heceta Head Mistletoe mentioned?

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

We went to the Sea Lion Caves (before we knew better) and agree with half-Brit, Dengay and the rest. When we were there, no sea lions were using the cave and they were all hauled out on the beach below the gift shop. Even there they smelled! The cave was just a big, empty cave with some exhibits inside. When we were there, we overhead a couple of groups of people who wanted their money back.

We think it's a lot more fun to see the sea lions in Newport up close and for free.

I believe the view of the Heceta Head Lighthouse that was mentioned is the one you have to go into the cave and then up the stairs to see.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

The Haceta Head Lighthouse view I'm thinking of is from a viewpoint a little north of Sea Lion Caves. Can't miss it; lots of cars stopped, and people with cameras in hand. ;-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

Yep, mistletoe's right, it's the largish pull-out just north of the caves. There will always be at least one camera in use there, lol!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

"I believe the view of the Heceta Head Lighthouse that was mentioned is the one you have to go into the cave and then up the stairs to see."

This might be one way but not the one we were mentioning, which is a freebie.

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sea lion caves north of Florence?

I wonder how we missed that one? We'll have to stop when we go down the coast in June!