We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lions Cave

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Lions Cave

Is there a place to view the sea lions without having to go in the Cave?? Is it worth Doing?

Thanks for your help.. doe.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sea Lions Cave

Doecraig, the busiest time of year on the Oregon coast is from July 4th through Labor Day Monday. After that Monday, there is a noticeable drop in traffic and crowds. However, voyaging is right, what we call "crowds" is probably a fraction of what is a crowd along the NE coastal areas. I know when I see something on TV about the Hamptons in the summer, I am appalled at the traffic! It is true that restaurants and tourist attractions are busy, and some larger towns get congested along the main drag, Hwy101.

In Newport, which is one of the busy towns, congested means that you may have to wait several minutes at a traffic light, and you do not turn left onto 101 unless there is a two-way turn lane, which there is for most of the town length. Hwy 101 bypasses Cannon Beach, but Seaside and Lincoln City are quite congested, as they are possibly the busiest areas of the coast. Out on the highway, out of towns, busy traffic means you move along at say 45-50 MPH. The south coast tends to have less traffic, as it is farther from Portland & Salem.

In looking at a small 2008 calendar, is Labour Day Sept. 1st next year? If so, I don't think you will have any problem with the crowds.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,583 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sea Lions Cave

The heck with the odor...everyone ought to go down into the cave at least once. But if you're put off by the threat of a smelly experience, all the advice about finding the sea lions along the coast hold true. Also, everyone stops at the viewpoint just south of Heceta Head to take pictures of the lighthouse. While there, look over the retaining wall...chances are you'll see and hear your sea lions on the rocks below.

Also, calling the Oregon coast crowded, even in summer, is a relative term. Sure, the traffic can get heavy, especially on weekends. But if you'll just park and explore some of the coastline beaches, you'll find solitude and serenity. While some Southern California beaches close before noon because they're FULL!, we consider our beaches crowded if there is anyone else on the sand within a mile of us. And almost our entire coastline is open.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sea Lions Cave

....... "we consider our beaches crowded if there is anyone else on the sand within a mile of us".......

Well, a little exageration there, oregonpoppa! But yes indeed, on a very warm day (75) in the middle of August, there might be oh, say, 30 people within a half-mile stretch. Although Cannon Beach, Seaside and Lincoln City are somewhat busier than that -- they may have 100 people in the same half-mile. I recently saw an aerial photo of the Jersey Shore and the people were sitting no more than 10 feet apart, ugh. None of that on the Oregon coast, thankfully! So, doecraig, not to worry about crowds.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sea Lions Cave

A place to see the sea lions much more easily and free is in Newport on the pier. Just follow the sounds of their barking!

Is Sea Lion Cave worth doing? Not for $8; not in my opinion. The cave is sort of cool, but not that big a deal. Sort of tacky really and you won't miss a thing, really.

15. Re: Sea Lions Cave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 am, September 10, 2009