We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

Which Eugene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

Is the free downtown overnight parking lot for Amtrak safe for walking to the depot in early morning hours? What if we plan to leave a car for a week?

Any tips for Northbound train travelers with school age kids? Should we check bags or carry small rolling bags and day packs on with us?

Thanks kindly for any tips you think might help our small family have a fun time!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

I'll have to do some checking around, since I don't know of any free overnight Amtrak parking. The free parking downtown is in the Parcade on Willamette between 7th and 8th...but only at night and on weekends (and there can be charges on nights when there are major events at the Hult Center). And, quite frankly, I wouldn't vouch for the safety of any car downtown overnight or certainly not for a week.

I'll have to give some more thought about what to do for that length of time.

As for the trains northbound, you want to be sure you book on one of the Cascades, which go a few times a day; and NOT the Coast Starlight, which is the long-range L.A. to Seattle train that is often quite late northbound.

Small rolling bags and backpacks would work fine, unless you had something too bulky to deal with, in which case you can easily check bags by getting to the station early.

Note that on the Amtrak schedule, some of the connections are train/bus or bus/train, with the switch in Portland. I'm guessing you want to get a straight through train or a train/train connection.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

www.downtowneugene.com/article.asp?id=3374

forgot to include this link

US
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

Thanks, oregonpoppa! If unable to get a park and fly package for the night before we leave on the early train, we may try parking at EUG airport and taxi or shuttle in to a nearby hotel and walk if very close or again taxi to the station bright and early? Any other ideas come to mind?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

I wish I could tell you we had public transit to and from the airport, but taxi or shuttle are your only options. Since there are no hotels near the airport I don't know if any hotels/motels downtown offer park and fly packages. The closest hotel to the train station would be the downtown Hilton, just a couple of short blocks away. Parking at the airport would certainly be a safer bet for your vehicles than anything downtown. Parking per day is cheaper than downtown, as well...but there is the cost of the taxi or shuttle (both of which offer round-trip fare discounts, so be sure to ask).

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

Does the Eugene Amtrak station have its own long-term parking lot? We always leave our car at the free lot by the station in Salem when we go to Seattle for 4-5 days and have never had a hint of trouble.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

The only free parking by the Eugene Amtrak station is 15 minute limit. There is limited overnight pay parking, but it's the kind where you put $ in a numbered slot and the only "attendant" is the person who puts the ticket fine on you windshield. The Parcade a couple of blocks away would be a better bet, although there are no guarantees of overnight safety there either..

And if your car is broken into and either stolen or its contents removed, the best you can do is file a report AT the police station. Not only will there be no manpower invested in your case; even if they caught the perp they would have to release him because there are no beds in the local jails in which to keep him, nor money for public defenders for property criminals. And it's getting worse, thanks to drastic budget cuts.

US
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

Thanks so much for the honest replies. We located a couple of hotels with park and fly packages, but none close enough to walk two blocks to the station in the early morning. We are opting for the airport parking and shuttle to the hotel closest to the Eugene station this time, but we will keep Salem in mind for future trips.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

I think leaving your car at the airport and staying at the Hilton or the new Inn at Fifth Street (actually on Fifth Ave) are your best bets, but I'll throw out another option. There is a public pay parking lot directly behind the Lane County Jail about a block from the train station. Jail personnel monitor this lot 24/7 for obvious reasons, so that could be a safe alternative as well.

9. Re: Eugene Amtrak parking, Seattle train tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:14 pm, June 12, 2013