We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

Which Eugene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

We are coming up for the Civil War game. Can anyone recommend where to stay? we would like to be close to campus and its bars, as well as be able to tailgate for the game. is it possible to be close to both?

where do most people tailgate? is it a parking lot tailgate, or do most people head to the bars before the game?

thanks

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml…

Virtually all of the downtown and Franklin Ave. hotels/motels are within a mile of Autzen Stadium and, thus, are in walking distance...either along the north river bike path and Pre's Trail in Alton Baker Park or from the south side across the river via Autzen foot bridge. Even if you have a rental car, you won't want to drive to the stadium.

Parking is strictly regulated (passes needed) for most lots near the stadium. If you don't have a parking pass, you should either walk to the stadium or catch a shuttle (parking and shuttle info on above link). Considering the horrendous traffic situations on game day, these are recommended options. Unless you have an invite to someone's private tailgate party, I don't know how you can join in. Lots where alcohol is allowed are also somewhat designated, so you have to be careful about that. And, since you will need quite a bit of time getting to the stadium, you might want to leave your partying for afterwards.

With the Civil War slated for 6 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 3, the situation could be complicated by rush hour traffic, darkness and who-knows-what kind of weather. Be prepared for the worst. You might be more in the mood for a hot bowl of soup afterward than a cold microbrew. And, believe me, you'll get wherever you want to go afterward more quickly by foot or shuttle than you would by car. Just go with the flow of people as they head back across the bridge or through the park.

Nothing in downtown or along Franklin is far from any of the campus watering holes. There are a couple of spots right on or off 13th Ave (Rennie's Landing being the most notable) where boosters and students will be gathering. Steelhead and the three McMenamins (High Street, East 19th Ave and North Bank, which is closest to the stadium) will be packed. I'm sure your fellow fans at the game will have plenty of suggestions regarding post-game partying.

If you're a Duck or Beaver alum,, check if your alma mater has an alumni website (I'm sure they do) to see what they have planned. Even if you're not a grad, you might find out where they're partying and what they're recommending.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

oregonpoppa is definitely the expert for Eugene. I will toss out one idea though. The Masonic lodge next to the stadium rents spaces on game days and you can tailgate there.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

I really am not an expert on tailgating at Autzen Stadium. My idea of tailgating for a December night game is to have a nice meal, put on my Duck sweatshirt and curl up with a microbrew or two in front of the TV! At my age, I have to pick and choose my thrills and freezing my butt off while peering out of a rainproof poncho (or garbage bag) for four hours doesn't rate that high on my bucket list any longer.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

Poppa--You sound just like me dad, except swap it to a Beaver shirt:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

The epitome of poetic justice... Realizing it might have a shot at the Rose Bowl, UofO reinstates suspended running back Lagarrette Blount, only to have its hopes dashed by a defeat in the Civil War game.

Sorry for the sidetrack, ekartash.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

Negativity isn't becoming..and beavers aren't as cute as ducks.

He who quacks last quacks best...

Enough of this. Let's get back to serious TA busines...like tailgating!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

mistletoe--I heard they were thinking of it, but they actually reinstated the jerk?????

poppa--Last weekend DS shot a duck and we had it for dinner...mmmm!!!!!! Youth hunt...so it was legal...now just waiting for open season:) Lots of Beavs roast duck at the Civil War tailgaters.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

No one has been reinstated yet. All the details are online and will be in tomorrow's sports pages.

As for roast duck, I have no problem with that. Tasty! I'll go for duck anytime.

Now, tell me, when have you ever savored beaver? Ughh.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

Does anyone have contact for masonic lodge?

Thank you all for your input. Also, thinking of staying at university inn. Seems to be close to the stadium. Does anyone have any closer, better options?

Thanks

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay, tailgate for Oregon Football

Eugene Lodge No. 11

2777 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Eugene, OR 97401-8080

Secretary: William T. Jones

541/607-9391 (KarenBillJones@netscape.net)

Can't find a website for the lodge.

All the motels along Franklin Blvd. are pretty equally close to Autzen, depending on whether you're driving or walking.