We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this hotel any good ?

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is this hotel any good ?

I have been trying to book accomodation for July 3 thru July 7 2008 and as I expected there is not a lot of availability.

I have finally found a motel which has limited availablity, could anyone who knows the Eugene / Springfield area tell me if the hotel is reasonable.

I am coming to Eugene from the UK with my wife for the trials, as I don't like driving in the US I would really need something central.

The hotel is the

Village Inn Motel

1875 Mohawk Blvd

SPRINGFIELD

Many thanks

Steven

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

I really can't tell you anything about the Village Inn, except that it would not be centrally located. It is on the McKenzie Hwy that goes east from Springfield and Springfield is a few miles north of Eugene.

I'm always a little skeptical of hotels, etc that don't have a website. Also ones where the last TA review was more than a year ago. Village Inn's seem to be 3 or 4 years back.

Didn't the folks in charge of the trials offer a list of accomdations?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

I don't know about the quality of the motel, but the location is quite good, considering what is expected to be available. It's right on off the freeway (#105) that will take you into the university area in just a few minutes. There are lots of restaurants and markets around. And I can give you easy directions for getting right to Hayward Field without having to go on the freeway! I live in Eugene and do a bit of grocery shopping in markets on Mohawk.

My suggestion would be to book your room now. You can still look around for better, but you'll probably find the motel filled with other track fans here for the trials (or music buffs here for the Oregon Bach Festival) and, even if it isn't the "Four Seasons," you'll have a good time. I really don't know where else to direct you in Eugene/Springfield. I expect people will be staying as far away as Cottage Grove and Salem.

Also, if you're interested in any urban hikes in Eugene on the mornings before the trials or coastal or mountain hikes during the two days you'll be here after the trials, let me know. Or check out obsidians.org and click on the trials. We're a big outdoors organization putting on a series of hikes for visitors so they can see the natural wonders we have in this area.

And, let me know what part of UK you're coming from. I have quite a bit of family in England, mostly in the Manchester area, but some in London.

Looking forward to your visit. Please let me know how I can make you feel welcomed. I'll be happy to fill you in on Hayward Field, the trials and Eugene.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

Oh, I see you're from Ashington...

No relatives there! But you're a track fan...that's all that's necessary!!!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

At the risk of overstaying my welcome on your question....

You can check out LTD.org (Lane Transit District) and find that there is a bus route that goes right by your motel. It'll take you somewhat close to the action, but I'd need to tell you where to get off and hike a bit. However, if you can get over to the Springfield station (just a very short drive from your motel), you can park and take the EM-X -- our version of "rapid transit" -- that will take you right to the university...for free!

I think that's it for now.....

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

Many thanks for all your advice, it is much apreciated.

I was hoping for accomodation in downtown Eugene, but beggers can't be choosers.

I think I will go ahead and book the hotel and hire a rental car.

Oregonpoppa, I really don't have anything planned for my visit apart from going to the trials and running the "pre" trial. I am a big track/ field and Steve Prefontaine fan. Getting a day tickets for the fri/sat/sun is my next task ! I think the daily passes go on general sale in the spring of next year. I have signed up for the eugene08 email list to try and keep up with developments.

I have visited the US many times, but never Oregon and I am really looking forward to my visit to Eugene.

Best regards

Steven

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

Hello Steven,

While I'm not all that familiar with Eugene (both of our sons are students there), we have stayed at the Campbell House Bed and Breakfast. I checked their website just now, and it seems they have just one room available for that time frame...its a bit spendy, but I think if you pay in Euros it'll be a bargain! Its a lovely inn, with wonderful food.....don't know if its your style, or what you're looking for, but I can attest to the fact that it is a great place to stay.

Good luck....btw, you say this is your first trip to Oregon. Its an amazing place....do you plan to see more than just Eugene?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

Toosey,

Pre's home town of Coos Bay is about a 2 hour drive from Eugene. If you have time, you should take hwy 126 to Florence, see the Oregon Dunes and drive down hwy 101 to Coos Bay. It's a beautiful part of the coast, especially out by Sunset Bay and Shore Acres State Parks!!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

Hi All

Thanks again for your assistance, the Campbell B and B looks FAB, but $1366.00 for 4 nights is certainly a bit spendy.

I will be going to Coos bay, and visiting the home town of my hero.

As I said earlier, I don't really like driving in the US, due to a very near accident (just missing a 16 wheeler just outside of Macon a few years ago) which was entirely my fault. But I think I will have to bite the bullet, as I want to see as much of Oregon as possible during our short stay.

9. Re: Is this hotel any good ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 11, 2009