We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Life?

San Jose, CA
1 post
Save Topic
College Life?

Can anyone give me an idea of what it is like for the college students in Eugene? My son is looking into going there from the Bay Area in CA. What are some activities that they do?

Eugene Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College Life?

I'm well past the college age, but I did attend summer classes at the U of O when I was in going to the University of California San Diego. Additionally, my dad is a professor at the Honors College at the U of O and I've lived here for well over 25 years. Eugene is a pretty cool town for young people. If you are into the out doors or athletics this is a great place. The U of O is know for its football, track and any many other athletic activities. It is 1 1/2 hrs to the ocean, mountain skiing and there are hiking trails everywhere. There is great camping and river rafting. You can get almost anywhere in Eugene on bike. Eugene has an interesting mix of jocks and hippies, almost anyone can fit in. If you don't like the rain, stay away. It would be worth a trip to see the campus if you haven't already done that. You will find the housing much more affordable than in the Bay Area. ;-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College Life?

Best time of my life as a college student at the UofO 1994-97. Simply a great school with tons of things to do and Eugene is safe.

Oregon
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: College Life?

I have to agree with the above posters. I'm a Duck alum from the early - mid 80's. It's a great place to grow up. I still get back there often. Very safe town. Tons of recreational options to retreat from the books. There are also many Cal kids going to school there. Far enough away from home, but an easy road trip for the holidays. I would encourage a visit.