We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

Midway, Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

We're planning a May vacation to the Oregon coast to stay in one of the Trendwest Resort timeshares. There's a location in Depoe Bay and a few others nearby (Gleneden, Newport & Seaside). I was wondering if anyone's stayed in any of these? We're leaning towards Depoe Bay but any feedback would be really helpful. Also considering making the drive down the coast to Redwood National Forest for the last 2 days of our trip.... has anyone tried this?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

We have stayed at Depoe Bay (a lot), Gleneden and Seaside. Newport very hard to get into only a few WM available units.

We prefer Depoe Bay, but we are owners there. Gleneden is nice quiet location on the beach. Seaside is right on Broadway the busy street in Seaside. We prefer to not go there, but one daughter really likes it. She likes more active places like Las Vegas.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

I've not stayed in any of these, but know that for the same reasons phirl stated, given a choice it wouldn't be the Trendwest in Seaside. Another reason for you not to stay there is that it would make your drive down to Redwood National Forest quite a bit longer.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

What part of the Redwood National Forest are you planning to visit? I think the National and State Redwood parks (there are several different ones) begin around the Oregon-California border and stretch a long way down the coastline. Around Crescent City, there is the Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park (where part of one of the Star Wars movies was filmed) and near Klamath is the Prairie Creek Redwood State Park, where you can often spot some Roosevelt elk, as there is a herd that lives in the area-sometimes in the state park, sometimes out grazing in a field (or someone's yard) in the area. As you drive down Hwy 199 (Redwood Highway) or the 101 Highway, there are a lot of pullouts or beaches to stop at and just look around. The redwoods are beautiful-even after many drives through them, I still enjoy gettign to see them. My grandparents live in Klamath, so I've been tehre many times growing up. It's hard to get a real feel for their huge size until you stand next to on or climb up on a log. I would check the parks' websites or call before you go to see what trails or areas may be closed when you're there-it's a very wet climate, so some areas are inaccessible occasionally. If Fern Canyon (in the Prairie Creek area- it's marked on the park map) is open, it is beautiful. Trees of Mystery is also between Crescent City and Klamath.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

Hi dubyal,

We've stayed in all of these, and we like Depoe Bay the best. The views from the cliffside location are staggering, and you can often spot whales from your balcony (at least in Phase 1). The town is close enough to walk to, and Newport and Lincoln City are only a few minutes drive down the road.

If you're looking to stay on the beach though, Gleneden Beach is right on the beach, just a short walk to the ocean. Depoe Bay has no beach. However, the resort is fairly remote - there's only one restaurant (not bad though) you can walk to, and no town within walking distance.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

My in-laws are owners at Seaside and I have been there numerous times. I love the resort because of the location - close to everything and you can just park your car in the garage and leave it until you pack up and leave or want to take a drive to sightsee. Despite being right in the middle of the action, the rooms are quiet and you cannot, I repeat, cannot hear the traffic outside. My in-laws took a tour of the resort as it was still being built and were told the windows were brought in from Germany and were excellent at keeping the outside sound to a bare minimum - granted our three bedroom room is on the southside, overlooking the pool and the ocean, and is not on the street, but we cannot hear the kids down in the pool when the windows are closed and it can get a little loud down there at times!

Since you are wanting to drive down the coast to the Redwoods, I suggest staying futher south, like Depoe Bay. I personally have not stayed there (we are staying in Nov, though), but my in-laws LOVE the resort. They say it is very quiet, the rooms are very nicely appointed and the view is amazing. My father-in-law actually said the resort cleaned the windows every day because of the sea spray! You do not have beach access, but you are close to Newport where you can shop, tour around and access the beach there - I also suggest the Newport Aquarium, but stay away from the Undersea Garden's and Ripley Believe It or Not!

No matter which Worldmark you choose, you will be happy - we have stayed at many of them around the area and have never been disappointed.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

Depoe Bay provides a nice mid-point, sort of, for sightseeing north and south. And it is very scenic. If you have never been here, you'll want to start your days fairly early.

The redwoods are a good drive. Once you have selected where you will do your sightseeing, you'd better calculate your time requirements back to Portland. Big assumption: you are flying here. If not, no problem.

Midway, Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

Thanks so much for all your great advice! My mother (spontaneously) moved to Yachats on Friday so we decided to stay at the Depoe Bay location. It seems to be the closest location to her and also the majority favorite. I'll let you know how it goes : ) Thanks again.

sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

If you decide to drive down to the Redwood Nat'l Forest for a brief visit, arguably the prettiest of the 3 state parks contained within the boundaries of the Nat'l Forest is Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, located on Highway 101 about 20 miles south of Crescent City. (We go there for a week of camping every September, and haver also made day-trips to the other two redwood state parks nearby, Jed. Smith SP and Del Norte SP. ) There are several gorgeous hiking trails at Prairie Creek SP that begin right next to the Visitors' Center at the entrance. The most famous of these is the "Fern Canyon Trail".

9. Re: Trendwest at Depoe Bay & Redwood Nat'l. Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 30, 2009