We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving dinner

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thanksgiving dinner

We are going to visit my son, who is in graduate school at OSU, over Thanksgiving. I'm not planning to cook a turkey in a grad student's kitchen (plus he is a vegetarian) . Is there a restaurant someone could recommend for our Thanksgiving meal? I'm also interested in good restaurants in general in and around Corvallis. Many thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Have you asked your son about were he would like to go? Corvallis has lots of great places, but most are super casual and not what you think of as something for a nice holiday meal. McGrath's Fish House probably will have some sort of Thanksgiving special, so you might check with them. A few of the nicer places along the river probably will too, but again you would need to call around.

Since he is vegetarian, I am sure he is familiar with Nearly Normals. Our kids are students there as well and some of their favorite spots are the Broken Yolk, Local Boyz, Block 15, Woodstocks, and Francesco's. I'm sure your son has his favorites too, and he will know where to go. Have fun, Corvallis is a great town!

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Hi, thanks for your response. I haven't asked him because he just arrived in Corvallis. I think, too, we'd like to take him out for Thanksgiving to a restaurant a little more upscale than the usual grad school haunts. Thanks again for all of your suggestions- as Easterners, we're looking forward to our first trip to Oregon.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

A thought might be to take a drive to the coast for dinner? Newport is about an hour from Corvallis. Embarcadero and Starfish Grill both do Thanksgiving buffets and I think there are other restaurants that do a full dinner.

Keep in mind that "upscale" in Oregon does not necessarily mean "fancy" - you'll still see jeans even in pricey restaurants ;-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
938 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Atthetable - I'm late arriving to this conversation, but wanted to chime in since I live here....Corvallis is filled-to-overflowing with what we in Oregon would call "good" restaurants. Big River, Magenta, Luc, Aqua, Fireworks, and many more. Each one with its own niche. There are also a lot of "funky" places too, since we're a college town, like Nearly Normals which is all-vegetarian food and Local Boyz which is Hawaiian. The most popular place these days is Block 15 if you like local microbrews - often a 45-minute wait on a weekend. By Thanksgiving your son may have a better idea of where he'd like to eat.... and there may be new restaurants by then!

Totally agree with half-Brit that it's a short drive to the coast for fresh seafood with a view (we love Tidal Raves in Depoe Bay and Georgie's in Newport)....and you can wear jeans anywhere.

Reply to: Thanksgiving dinner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted