We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

I'm new to the are so I thought I'd ask about the drive time. Ok, I know that the drive time is around two hours (maybe a little less if you drive fast). The problem is that my flight is at 9:40a and I would guess that I'd be hitting some sort of traffic on way north during morning rush hour. I'm going to park and fly, so I can't just roll up to the terminal at 8:40a. Any suggestions on a leave time from Corvallis to arrive at the (http://www.parkshuttleflypdx.com/directions) parking lot at 8a?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

We have at 7AM flight to Boston in a couple of weeks. we are getting airport pickup at 4:30 in Tigard. Then I don't like pushing time.

Salem Portland commute can be a problem. If it was me I would leave Corvallis by 5AM at latest, probaly I would choose 4AM

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

Heck, I'd rather lodge at the airport rather than get up at that time! LOL

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

Darn, it's not going to be a pretty morning.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

We have to drive from Eugene...which is about an hour more than from Corvallis. We got tired of worrying about weather and accidents at the Wilsonville bottleneck and decided it's better to go the night before and stay at one of the airport area motels (Clarion and Ramada a couple of good ones) that provide free parking while you're away. The cost of the room can equal the cost of parking, depending on how long you'll be gone.

Now we go the night before, have a nice relaxed dinner and let the hotel shuttle get us to the nearby terminal on time.

On the other hand, we once had a flight to the east coast out of Eugene cancelled and we got rebooked on a flight out of PDX 2 hours later...and we made it! Thank goodness, we didn't get caught on a radar gun. Not something I'd ever want to repeat. Those were also the days before having to arrive 1 1/2 to 2 hours before your flight.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

>> Now we go the night before, have a nice relaxed dinner and let the hotel shuttle get us to the nearby terminal on time.<<

We do the same. Well worth it.

Even if you left at o-dark-thirty, nowwhereian, one traffic tie-up could spell doom to your plans - and cost you a bundle having to rebook!

>>so I can't just roll up to the terminal at 8:40a<<

You'll want to be *in* the terminal by no later than 8:10, (not 8:40). IMO.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

I make the drive between Portland and Corvallis quite often. I won't even say how many times in the last few weeks, lol! Between OSU and the north Wilsonville exit, it is usually about 1:10 as far as time. From Wilsonville to PDX, normally it is about 30 minutes. This is all going the speed limit, BTW:) You do want to add in extra time though since you would be in rush hour. If this were me, I would probably factor in an extra 30 minutes since that would also give you time to get your bearings at PDX since you say you are new to the area, so I assume you are not familiar with the airport layout and such. Although it is easy to find things there, but when you are new it can be a bit stressful.

As the others have said though, you might opt to stay the night up here and not have to worry about it and have a leisurely morning.

If you are flying domestically, an hour is plenty of time to arrive inside the terminal if you are already checked in online and don't need to check any bags. We fly quite a bit and always have extra time after going through security, but like I said we don't need to wait in any lines at the counters at the front. If you do that, definitely add extra time.

Oregon
Level Contributor
903 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

From CornValley to PDX I always figure 2 hours drive time (1:45 drive time plus a stop at the rest area before I-205) in perfect conditions. Besides accidents, concerns for delays include road construction in summer, rain/ice/sleet/snow in winter.

I'm traveling @ that time on a Sunday in September, so will leave town about 6 AM to arrive early enough to park, get thru security, etc. I always park in the Thriftway lot because they offer online discounts, customer service is fantastic, AND if you have made a reservation, they'll valet park your car if the lot is full.

I, too, think that the park and fly option is fantastic, especially for a really early morning flight out of PDX. We've done the reverse park and fly when returning late at night. The park and fly option often ends up costing about the same as economy lot, particularly if you're gone for over a week....plus you get a decent night of sleep either before or after without having the worry about drive time, delays, etc.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time

>>in perfect conditions<<

Right, that is an important point.

It was just the other day I-205 was *completely* shut down for 10 hours due to a fire! You never know when something like that will happen.

kgw.com/news/local/Raw-Hay-truck-burns-on-I-…

Reply to: Corvallis to PDX Drive Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted