We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Topic
Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Just looked at the tide chart for June 6th and it shows a low tide of only 0.5. If we arrive close to low tide, will we see starfish, anemones, etc at Haystack or is that too high for good viewing? Also, if we go to Ecola State Park, are there signs for where to park and hike to viewpoint overlooking Cannon Beach? I've seen all the postings about great views/hikes there, but I can't find info on how to know where to go in the park for starting the hikes! Maybe it's just one parking area with signs??? Appreciate any advice!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Responding to each question: Yes. Yes. No. Yes. Plenty of signs, just walk to the bluffs, take signed trails to the beache and along bluffs...

Edited: 4:25 pm, May 18, 2014
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Anything under 1ft is pretty good (not as good as minus tides, but not bad either). Plan on be there an hour or so before low tide to allow yourself plenty of time to explore.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Thank you! We should be there about an hour before...hopefully we have better luck than a few weeks ago at Ruby Beach in ONP (rain and no starfish).

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

We don't go tidepooling unless it is a minus tide, but we can be choosy. since we live here. .5 tide should be ok to see some things.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Arcadia Beach SP, just south of Cannon Beach, has dramatic and exposed rocks at low tide with anemone and starfish.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

So, is Arcadia Beach a better bet for exposed sea life at .5 low tide than Cannon? We can go to either. Also, we are staying in Cannon Beach, after driving from Seattle, and I'm wondering how far south we should explore that day? We don't mind driving (we stop for short hikes n pictures often). We will have stopped at Ecola Pk, Oswald Pk, and I'm think the Meares Loop. We leave for Columbia River Gorge and Bend the next morning at 6:30 (East Coaster's, so we wake up at 4:30).

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Not necessarily, but less populated, less busy, less extensive, beach and, in its way, more interesting. I recommend both. If you use Google Maps, focus in on 101 and you'll see that Arcadia Beach is on the way to Oswald West SP. The small parking lot is just above the beach, short trail down then go toward the rocks.

Tillamook, about an hour south of CB, has two cheese companies, left side of the road, Tillamook and Blue Heron. At least the first one offers self guided tour, plus food, ice cream.

The days will be very long, you'll have time for all of this.

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

We did the drive to Cape Meares from Seaside this past Sat. Rockaway Beach is a fun place to stop for lunch. Old Oregon Smokehouse has delicious clam chowder and crab melts. :).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Ecola is well posted - you can reach many areas by easy walking so there is no need to "hike"! You may also be interested in Hug Point, a little bit of Oregon Coast history:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51790-c151280/Cannon…

The north section of Three Capes is closed (probably permanently). You'll see the signs as you leave Tillamook heading west. Cape Meares lighthouse is a short 'stubby' one, not a classic tall one! Great views, though. The entire loop has a few dramatic ocean views, but not many.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is .5 low tide good for tide pool viewing at Cannon Beach?

Thank you half-Brit for the link. My husband is a history nut and will love seeing this before we go! So, if I'm interpreting your post correctly, the Cape Meares Loop isn't worth the time due to the road closure?