We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Cannon Beach

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Cannon Beach

We just spent two nights at Hearthstone Inn in Cannon Beach. Only second time we have spent nights there. Last time was winter too. So may not be best of CB Weather not good so limited beach time, but we did spend time in downtown CB and Seaside.

Sure easy to see why some like CB so well. Downtown of CB very well done. everything seems to fit well. And also rest of town has a low profile. No supermarkets. We need to go back when it is not winter.

We went on Hwy 26, not my favorite way to coast. We decided to return on Wilson River Hwy. I like that better, more time along the river, and once you climb up ylu get to top and start down. US-26 seems to have several climbs and limited streamside.

Bit further to go to Tillamook but enjoyed trip down 101 through the several small towns like Manzanita, Nehalem, Wheeler, Garibaldi etc and along Nehalem Bay and Tillamook Bay, Then a nice visit to Tillamook Cheese Factory and some good ice cream. And the drive over Arch Cape is very nice.

I need to make that trip every so often, think I can give some better advice about north coast in future.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,065 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

Thanks for the trip report, phirl. Yes, that drive along 101 between Cannon Beach and Tillamook is really nice, isn't it? I like where the road goes right along the edge of Tillamook Bay :-)

We've driven the Wilson River Hwy many times and it's always a pleasant drive in good weather. Did you stop at the waterfall?

Lots of Oregon's rural highways are scenic drives!

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

Sounds very nice! :).

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

Sure easy to see why some like CB so well. Downtown of CB very well done. everything seems to fit well. And also rest of town has a low profile. No supermarkets. We need to go back when it is not winter.>>

safeway is just up the road on 101

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

Thanks phirl! I grew up and lived in the Nehalem Valley for 35 years and that area will always be "home" to me!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

"Sure easy to see why some like CB so well."

Yes, it's not just proximity to Portland that makes Cannon Beach so popular. I liked it better as a sleepy, little artists' community in the mid-late '60s, but it still retains a lot of that same charm today.

Thanks for reporting back, phirl. I'll look for your review on the Hearthstone. It's been years since we stayed there. Did you find any good fish & chips?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

We were walking in downtown CB and visited with some wine merchant. Mentioned we were going to try Bill's for fish and chips. He sort of indicated this other place might be better, Fish Market I think. so we tried there. It was ok, but sure wish we had tried Bill's

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

Nice trip report and fun to read thread. Phirl and all when you are in Garibaldi you might try the fish and chips at the Fishermen's Korner on the wharf in the "G by the Sea". They pride themselves for using locally caught rockfish. The chips and cole slaw are good too. Really simple not fancy place but good fare. The ice tea is brewed not a mix.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

Sounds like a nice getaway Phirl. We really like that loop as well. There are a lot of great places to stay in CB. We head over there quite a bit and still enjoy it even after many years. Last weekend we had planned to go to Bill's for fish n chips, but it was such a beautiful weekend that their outdoor tables were already taken and we had the dog with us so had to go elsewhere.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

Den, I grew up on central coast. I know the towns from Lincoln City including the old ones like Taft, to Reedsport, but I have to go to my maps to remember the Nehalem Tillamook area towns,

10. Re: 2 nights in Cannon Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 06, 2015