We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

We are staying at Haystack inn 1 night, hoping to arrive in the area about 11 am or Noon latest.

We obviously want to check out Haystack rock, and we also would like to check out Ecola state park and maybe Oswald west state park.

I have looked and seen that sunsets around 8:20pm, so gives us quite a bit of day light to work with.

We will have to be leaving around 7 am next day to fit in a visit to multnomah falls, before needing to be back at the rental drop off at PDX around 1pm. Flight leaves 3:15pm.

Is there anything that is a must see in this area, since our time is limited we'd like to make the most of it.

one more question does Cannon beach have better sunsets or sunrises ?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Do you think it's best we stop in Astoria on the way to Cannon beach ?

Are all the Places used in the Goonies easy to find ?

I've been looking up the many waterfalls in the Columbia river gorge area, wish we had more time.

I love seeing waterfalls, last year in April we went to the Smokies in Tennessee and my husband proposed to me behind Grotto falls, it was so romantic and sweet.

We went to Yosemite year before that, but we went in September and most waterfalls were completely dry, or very little coming down.

So I'm looking forward to seeing multnomah, which in pictures looks very impressive.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Also thanks Syrah girl that's a handy website :)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

ougee--I don't think it will be too rushed. It is only 2 hours from Cannon Beach over to Multnomah Falls, so that would put them there around 9am, which gives them about 3 1/2 hours in the area before needing to head back to PDX.>>>

i would be willing to make a small wager that they cant make that trip in 2 hrs

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Careful lougee, that's a touchy subject to some folks ;-)

Jade M, I don't know anything about the Goonies but this should help:

thegoonies.org/goonies/locations-maps-and-ad…

If you have a chance to return to Oregon, there are many big year round waterfalls here - several in the Columbia Gorge, 10 at Silver Falls State Park (including one walk-behind), several other large ones around the state as well as smaller ones in many locations.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Whenever we get back early may from this trip , I'll do a trip report and let everyone know exactly how long it took from cannon beach to multnomah falls : ) .

Thanks for the Goonies link .

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Louvre--sure:). I have made that drive a number of times. We have family that live a couple minutes from the lodge there and have gone between their place and seaside.

Out of curiosity sake Google Maps says the same thing and they are usually very close IME.

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Yes the Goonie places are easy to find in Astoria. Go to the Oregon Film Museum, it's a fun little museum with lots of Goonie memorabilia. www.oldoregon.com :)

Edited: 11:33 am, January 19, 2014
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

Thank you !!

19. Re: Cannon beach area first timers with only a day.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 23, 2015