We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Coming to Seaside and area at end of July, really looking forward to it. Would appreciate any recommendations where to get some good crabcakes, fish n chips and chowder. They do not have to be from the same restaurant.

Thanx.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

There are lots of choices :-)

In Astoria (just north) be sure to stop by the Bowpicker. It's a boat on land that does takeaway, just across Highway 101 from the Maritime Museum. They serve fresh tuna fish-n-chips and they are *outstanding* - a large portion for $10.

In Cannon Beach, Ecola Seafood Market & Restaurant is a little "hit and miss" but generally good with fairly high prices and sometimes poor service. They will be *slammed* with customers so pick your times.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Norma's, just off Broadway in Seaside, is our favorite for seafood when in the area. The chowder is excellent and they offer several types of fish in their fish 'n' chips. I usually opt for the combo, with four different fish on the platter.

Haven't had the crabcakes there, but I'd guess they're pretty good. We often get crabcakes at Local Ocean Seafoods in Newport, but that would require a drive of close to 3 hours from Seaside.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Bowpicker is the best place- you cant go wrong there...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Thanx everyone for the info. We are really looking forward to our time in Oregon.

Level Contributor
34,504 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

In Seasude there is a place called The Relief Pitcher. It looks like a dive from the outside but they have awesome crab cakes and burgers there. We ate there last night. Last week we dined at The Boardwalk Restaurant atThe Shilo, their food quality has really improved over the past year. Very good fish n chips and clam chowder there.

In Astoria check out The Ship Inn for very good halibut fish n chips and chowder. Our chowder at baked Alaska and Rogue Public Ale House has also been very good. Bridgewater Bistro also does delicious chowder and crab cakes. Have fun! :)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Thank you very much for those suggestions. We will be coming across from the I-5 via Hwy 6 so will be able to check out Astoria for lunch.

As the days get nicer and the holiday gets closer, we are getting excited to go to the Oregon Coast. I haven't been there for about 30 yrs and my wife has never been so we are looking forward to enjoying the sea, the sand, the sun and the food.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Ship Inn *used* to be good, years ago. Now it's gone way downhill, is overpriced and there is a reason it's not busy on Saturday nights! My opinion -we used to love it but won't return until somebody buys it. It's been for sale for a long time.

Enjoy your holiday here, chuckandjoesdad. There are a lot of interesting things to see and do in this area. Hope you get to see some of the big ships :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Love the fish 'n chips and chowder at Rogue Ales, even more with a chipotle ale.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

I'll chime in here too regarding the Ship Inn as well as the Relief Pitcher.

As half-Brit noted, there was a time when the Ship Inn was "THE" place to go in Astoria. I remember as a child and later as a young adult, the food, view, actually everything about the experience to be above average. Those days, however, passed about 20 + years ago!!! DO NOT go there expecting to have anything other than an average, or quite possibly below average meal in a fairly dirty environment. I wanted this place to be good again so badly that I actually tried it three times in three consecutive years hoping the previous meal and eviron was just a fluke. Unfortunately that was not the case and I have not been back in about 5 years.

The Relief Pitcher, a place that I do still patronize, has a nice atmosphere and above average bar food. The operative word here is "bar". You can do MUCH better, but you can also do far worse (see above)!

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crabcakes, fish n chips & chowder.

Just came back from Seaside last week and truly enjoyed the clam chowder and crabcakes at McKeown's so much that I had to go back a second night for more.