We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended beach town.

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended beach town.

Hello. My family of 4 will be in Portland mid June. We plan to stay at one of the beach towns for 2 nights. I had read Cannon Beach is a great anchor since we plan to drive up to visit Seaside, Fort Stevens, Astoria, maybe even Cape Disappointment in WA. A one day trip. Would the experts agree on this location or should we consider staying in Astoria or Seaside? We will be driving from our beach location to PDX on our last day. Also tips of where to stay would be appreciated. We like to walk, explore and enjoy privacy and space. Many thanks for your help!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended beach town.

i personally think that cannon beach is the best beach town on the coast -- seaside is only about 20 minutes north of cannon beach and Astoria is about 45 min north of seaside -- i presume there are 2 children in the family group -- depending on their ages seaside is kind of a coney island town with bumper cars - arcade games etc etc so you might want to stay there

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended beach town.

Great advice, thank you. I am feeling confident with our plan.

Cannon Beach, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended beach town.

Astoria is 25 miles north of Cannon Beach (about 35min). Seaside is 8 miles north of Cannon Beach (about 15 min)

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended beach town.

What is your budget for lodging? Cannon Beach will be more expensive than Seaside and Astoria. There is a nice promenade in Seaside that is great for walking along the ocean. :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended beach town.

This winter spent two nights in Cannon Beach, first time ever. Have spent several nights in Seaside both with work and with family. It was cheaper. You can stay a block or more from broadway and not be in middle of the arcade part. But the kids enjoyed the arcade. They also liked the beach.

However after those nights in CB I can see the draw of it. Nice beach and nice little downtown area. Our room looked right out to Haystack Rock. and the town is off busy 101.

Edited: 12:18 pm, March 23, 2013
California
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended beach town.

Budget no higher than 230 a night. I found a spacious room at the Ecola Creek Lodge. It has good reviews. We are from Southern California and Cannon Beach seems to have the charm of our central Coast towns. As long as there are a few places to eat close by, we don't mind driving to sight see.

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended beach town.

GV, Ecola State Park a must see? It seems beautiful and interesting. Does anyone think it is worth a drive up to see Cape Disappointment?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended beach town.

Cape Disappointment? yes worth it, but with one day to Astoria you will have to pick priorities.

Maritime Museum world class. we spent 2 hours there. Astor Column my second must. great views, good climb for kids. Fort Clatsop very interesting, replica of where Lewis and Clark spent winter of 1806. Fort Stevens also good visit, see Peter Iredale beached shipwreck.

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended beach town.

Thank you Phirl, I will re-evaulate our intinerary. Great tips!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended beach town.

There really is a lot to see and do along the north coast area! Cape Disappointment is a very pretty area and has a great Lewis & Clark interpretive center / museum. Ecola SP is worth a couple of hours. Walk up to the remains of the WWII lookout at the top, although the trees have all grown up around it.

As phirl mentioned, Astoria also has lots to see. The kids might like the trolley ride (and you too!) and the museum is well worth seeing - allow at least 2+ hours.

Ecola Creek Lodge has a pleasant location.

SpiritHome, if you enter a town name in the search box at the top right of any page, it will take you to where you can read about all the attractions as well as dining and lodging :-)