We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montana
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

Hi All,

Looking at a trip from Salt Lake to Oregon with my hubby and our 5 year old Goldendoodle (70 lbs). Our dog is well behaved and doesn't bark and is happy to be in the car.

For those of you that have done the coast with your dogs, how was it? Did you book rooms in advance or test your luck? It seems many places are pet friendly.

Any places that allowed you to keep the dog in the room while you went out?

Thanks in advance:)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

oregon coast is very dog friendly --- however i have yet to find a place that will allow you to leave a dog unattended in a room

i always book my motel/hotel by phone when we take our dog with us -- not all rooms might be dog friendly so its best to call

most restaurants with outdoor seating are usually dog friendly also

we were just at a dog friendly b & b in the san juan islands and the innkeepers offered to watch our dog during the day

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

We took our dog with us to the coast all the time. The Surfsand in Cannon Beach was our fav spot with her (had to put her down last year). We always called for reservations as I didn't want to wing it with her. The Surfsand is incredibly dog friendly and will provide a welcome basket upon arrival. It has bowls, food, treats, and a blanket. They also have plastic baggies in stands around the property so no excuse for anyone to not pick up after their dog. We moved several times across the country with her too and never left her in a room unattended. We either found places to eat outdoors and take her, or one of us would get something to go and bring it back.

Oregon
Level Contributor
415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

We take our dog to the coast all the time. Some of our "regular" motels are:

The Fireside Motel [Yachats]

Hallmark Inn [Newport]

Inn at Cape Kiwanda [Pacific City]

But we have been the length of the coast and have had good luck finding motels who are dog friendly. We generally make reservations, though we have winged it and been lucky, though in the summer I would make reservations.

We have never left our dog unattended in a motel room for longer than a couple of minutes to run to the car or to the ice machine. I'm 99% sure she would just snooze and wait for us silently and quietly, but I do not want to risk it. It is sometimes cool enough to leave her in the car while we zip in for a meal; if it's not cool enough, we find a place with outdoor seating or get the food "to go." If we want to shop or do things where the dog is not allowed, one stands outside with the dog while the other scampers up the lighthouse or whatever. Then the other one goes.

It's wise to keep your dog on a leash or under voice command on the beach. I still remember a friend's hysterically funny story about her golden retriever rolling in a gloriously decaying dead sea lion and the resulting stench that lingered for the rest of the trip :-o There was a tragic story a few months ago about a man who drowned trying to rescue his dog in the surf.

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

We road tripped with our from the north coast, into California and back.

Like lougee said, I would definitely make reservations in advance since many places have designated dog-friendly rooms and once those are gone...

And we have never stayed in a motel where dogs are allowed to be left alone.

We've stayed at:

* The Fireside in Yachats

* LaKris Inn in Bandon

* Whaleshead Beach Resort in Brookings

* The Whaler in Newport --- twice

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

runningwithscissors--LOL at the golden:) Maybe that is why we like the Surfsand, they have an outdoor shower that you can wash the dog off at.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

We stayed at Beachcomber's Haven in Gleneden and really enjoyed it with our pooch. It's a small group of rental homes but reasonably priced, very close to the beach, and has a dog friendly lawn area.

Montana
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

Thank you guys do much for the great advice! I really appreciate it. Looking into all the hotels you all mentioned:)

Cheers!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

"It's wise to keep your dog on a leash or under voice command on the beach."

It's not only wise, it the law!!! The exception being beaches that front a State Park; let's say Ecola for example, where your pooch must be on a leash of no more than 6 ft at all times.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

lands end motel in cannon beach is dog friendly - they have a few rooms that go out onto a patio--- ocean front -- and the sand is just a few feet away

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who has done Oregon Coast with their dogs?

Our pooch is ok left alone at home for a couple of hours. that is home. but she does not adjust well to new settings. We would not leave her alone in a strange place. She is 18 pounds so sort of little.

Edited: 10:47 pm, August 10, 2012