We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

Windsor Heights...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

I've read tons of reviews and looked up all the restaurants in Cannon Beach but I've got a bit of a dilema.

We are hoping to have a cookout on the beach BUT in the event of rain, I want to have a dinner reservation made just in case.

We'll have about 25 adults & 5 kids. Looking for a place that's not super expensive (can't afford the Wayfarer). Where would you recommend if it was your family/friends?

Also, we're looking for a place that makes fantastic pie...any recommendations?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

Well, you got me at pie!!! Dooger's Seafood Grill makes the BEST Peanutbutter/Chocolate pie I've ever eaten!! They also offer decent fair in a beach casual environment at a good price. Problem being, they don't take resys.

About 4 years ago, we had my parent's 50th wedding anniversary dinner there. My Sis called them and for our party of 17, they did promise (and deliver I might add) a back room to ourselves. I think we waited a total of 10 minutes for them to prepare the room. So in this case, I guess they did take a resy!

Worth a shot!!

Windsor Heights...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

Thank you!!! I've seen mixed reviews about Dooger's but I like their prices & menu choices...

We're a laid back crowd & aren't looking for gourmet or fine dining by any means. We just want a good meal at a good price with good service. :)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

how about mos down at tolavana inn

Level Contributor
36,388 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

Mo's is casual and has good seafood, I do love their marionberry cobbler there! Call ahead and see if they can accomodate your large group. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

The only two restaurants we do not care for in Cannon Beach are Doogers and Mo's! Been to both more than once and did not enjoy them either time. But really these are your only choices.

The only other restaurant I can think of large enough is the Pig n Pancake. They close at 3 pm but are available for private parties after that. Would you qualify as a private party? Probably you would have to have a fairly solid committment to the restaurant.

Windsor Heights...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

What are your thoughts about the Driftwood Inn & Lounge? That was one we were considering...would it be suitable to bring kids to after 7pm?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

Sorry I can't help you as have never eaten or even been in there. Long before that point in the road, my eyes are already focused on Bill's Tavern!

Level Contributor
36,388 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

Driftwood is pretty good, I love their Tempura Prawns there! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,126 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

Some posters might like the Driftwood, but not us. We had a good lunch there, but then a poor, very overpriced dinner. Granted, that was a few years ago, but we've never felt inclined to return after our experience.

I glanced at nearly all the reviews and wow they are *all* over the board!

I realize that some are one-offs but the overall tone of the reviews would give me caution. I also (just for fun) looked at the Yelp reviews and it fares only slightly better there, although some of them mainly praised the "strong drinks" ;-)

Don't know about the children - my impression was that it's more of an adult place but if they are quiet probably nobody would mind.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for Group Dinner with kids

I would avoid Mo's and Dooger's both, mostly they are akin to a glorified national chain as far as food quality goes. Driftwood food is fine but might not be suitable for kids in the evenings. For a party of that size though you are definitely limited....perhaps The Lumberyard? I'm not sure about their size capability but the food is good and it's a nicer atmosphere than the others I've mentioned. Morris' Fireside might have the capability but their food can be very inconsistent, atmosphere is a fun log cabin feel though. As for pie...you might be able to see if Cannon Beach Bakery would whip you up something special order. Never hurts to ask!