We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with lodging choice, please!

Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Help with lodging choice, please!

Hi,

I have been searching so much that I am overwhelmed! Thought I’d ask for help before my head starts spinning any faster.

We are planning to make our first trip to Oregon in about 2 and ½ weeks. The original purpose is for a wedding, but we will also be adding some vacation time to the trip. So we plan to arrive in Portland one night and stay near the Gorge, check out the next morning and explore the Gorge, and that evening head over to the Coast and stay there 3 nights. Then head to the wedding (about an hour and ½ from Portland) for a few days (during which time we’ll have the opportunity to make a trip with the wedding party over to Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge, so we’ll consider that area “covered” – at least covered as well as can be done with limited time, I suppose). Then probably in Portland for a couple of days before heading to Mt. Rainier. A few days there and then flying out of Seattle.

I’ve read on here about Cannon Beach being one of the most beautiful areas, so we chose that area to stay. However, I also understand that the area isn’t the most affordable, and the options become even more narrow on this short notice! We’d like to find something under $200 (I guess in Cannon Beach this is considered a good deal!). My husband is an avid photographer and is looking forward to seeing Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park. Here are some options I’ve come up with and would appreciate your input:

Inn at Haystack Rock -

seems to have good reviews on TA; website says newly replaced carpet/tile/paint. Looking at Room 6 Spa Cottage, or Rm 3 or 5.

Blue Gull Inn

not such great reviews here, but website indicates newly remodeled (which would be since the latest TA review) - http://haystacklodgings.com/remodel.php

Looking at Rm. 7 or 9. They have some nicer options as well, but they are a little over $200.

Ecola Creek Lodge

not right by the ocean, I think? But reviews here seem positive. Prices good. Can anyone give me an idea of what the view is at this location? A creek, I assume! But how close to the ocean, how close to the state park, etc?

Sea Breeze Court

has positive reviews here, though they are lowest on the list of 9 places in Cannon Beach, possibly because they aren’t as fancy and not right on the water?

Schooner’s Cove and Surfsand Resort seem highly recommended on TA, and I have seen comments about good rates, but what I found on their websites was considerably higher rates. I could call, I guess, but I’m not holding my breath on those (unless anyone knows of a special or something I missed).

Having read recommendations here about considering Manzanita as an alternative, I did so and here’s what I found:

The Getaway (vacation rental) –

can be seen here on TA; emailed but haven’t heard back yet; people rave about the view, which is this according to TA: “GETAWAY is a quaint cliffside studio, high above MANZANITA BEACH and is a perfect retreat for 1 or 2 adults who desire a quiet and private escape. With the breath-taking views, you can see the whole town of Manzanita and the Nehalem Bay.” Not sure about exact location or proximity to things.

Considered the Inn at Manzanita but found mixed reviews

Also considered Arch Cape but didn’t find much

Nehalem River Inn – this seems a bit out of the way, though; I’m sure it’s nice, but perhaps too far removed from the sites of interest

If there are other options I should consider, please let me know. However, I think I’ve considered them all at least twice. :) But I’d appreciate your feedback about these options, how they compare, pros/cons, things to consider, preferences…

Thanks so much!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

If you do not have reservations for your first night, take a look at the Edgefield in Troutdale. It is a fun place, so full of character, and a great location for setting off to see the gorge.

As for Cannon Beach, DH and I headed over there last week for a couple days. Surfsand is our favorite place there. I did stay at Schooners Cover earlier this summer and really liked it too. Call both places and see what they can do, it can't hurt. Anyway, last week our trip was pretty last minute and I was able to snag a room at the Cannon Beach Hotel, which is next door to the Surfsand. Very nice hotel! They have an ad on their website that if it is your first stay there, they will take $20 off the bill. Breakfast is included in the room rate. The only room left was their smallest, since it was last minute, and the rate was $140 a night, before the discount.

Of the places you mention, my first choice would be Blue Gull Inn. It is near the Surfsand and I like the location a lot.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

Inn at Haystack Rock, Blue Gull Inn, and Sea Breeze Court are all within a few blocks of eachother, and just a short walk into the center of town. Because it's on the west side of Hemlock, Blue Gull probably wins out in terms of being closest to the beach. But Hemlock is only a two-lane road. ;-) Any of the three would give your husband easier access to Haystack Rock for those sunrise photographs. He'd want to drive from Ecola Creek Lodge (and regardless of where you stay, he'll want to drive to Ecola State Park).

The thing I like about Ecola Creek Lodge is that it accesses the north end of the beach, which is quieter, and has beautiful views to the north. But it is farther from the beach than the others, and I'm not sure you'll much of a view of anything from there (which really shouldn't sway you because you won't have a view from the others either).

Manzanita is a great little town too, but I think the photographer would prefer Cannon Beach.

So, that all said, I 2nd Mtngrl's recommendations, both for the Cannon Beach Hotel and Blue Gull Inn. ;-)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

i would suggest schooners cove -- oceanfront and i think they have rooms for your price range -- aslo its just a block walk to the center of cannon beach

http://www.schoonerscove.com/

Edited: 8:41 pm, August 11, 2010
Level Contributor
35,943 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

There is also the Sunset Surf in Manzanita, it is right across the street from the ocean. We were just in Manzanita a couple of days ago at the driving range there. This is a beautiful little coastal town and less populated than Cannon Beach. Enjoy your trip! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

Syrahgirl--We went past that driving range last week, lol! I think it could use a bit of water on it...

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

Yeah mtngrl, they never have maintained the driving range to the same standards as the golf course lol!

The Nehalem River Inn is about 25 minutes south of Cannon Beach. It's nice, but if you were even considering staying south of Neah-Kah-Nie Mt, I would pick the Inn at Manzanita over the Nehalem River Inn or Sunset Surf. It's not beachfront, but it's only a half block off the beach and it's a MUCH more modern and nicer facility.

http://innatmanzanita.com/

Unlike mistletoe, I think the Manzanita area is just as scenic as Cannon Beach, may more so due the above referenced mountain and the Nehalem River estuary. Plus it is MUCH less crowded.

Edited: 1:13 pm, August 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

I'm not in disagreement with you Den; just think possibilites for striking photographic images are more easily found in Cannon Beach.

I wondered about that driving range comment too. Are you trying to tell us we should be looking for you on the LPGA Tour, syrahgirl?

Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

Thanks, everyone! I did go ahead and call Schooners Cove and Surfsand Resort. However, their prices were over $200. The lowest was $219, and that was for an "eye-level" view, which I think is a room that's 1/2 story below ground, as they said there are steps to access the room. Seemed like a basic room. And the others were $269, $279, $399, etc. So back to the more affordable ones... We are still looking at the Blue Gull Inn (thanks to all of your recommendations) and the Inn at Haystack Rock (which nobody has commented on yet). They are sister properties, and I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on the Inn at Haystack Rock. They have a Spa Cottage (Rm #6) that seems nice. Any thoughts on that one? As was mentioned, the Blue Gull Inn is across the street and therefore closer to the water. :) But other than that, any feedback? Any reasons why we shouldn't stay at the Inn at Haystack? I ran the Ecola Creek idea past my husband, but he agreed with the advice here that he would prefer to be closer to Haystack Rock for early morning photography. Same for Manzanita. We are eager to see Manzanita, though, but I figure we could drive down there one day. Same goes for driving farther north toward Astoria (is that recommended, by the way?). When you speak of Cannon Beach being busy and congested, how bad are we talking about? Manzanita is quieter, but is it worth it to then have to drive 20 minutes to go eat, etc?

Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

By the way, a couple of you recommended the Cannon Beach Hotel, but I saw some mixed reviews on here. Any idea what's up with that?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with lodging choice, please!

I haven't stayed at Inn at Haystack Rock, and based the Blue Gull recommendation on my wife and daughter's stay there several years ago. So, the only thing more that I might add is that Inn at Haystack Rock appears to be 20 - 30 years newer contruction than Blue Gull, which is reminiscent of a 40's - 50's styled roadside motel.

Cannon Beach Hotel is much more aesthetic in my opinion. Charming, cozy, tastefully furnished and decorated.... just seems to fit well with the rest of Cannon Beach. But I should probably qualify my recommendation to the type of room that's available. The room I stayed in was small.... some might say tiny. Fine for me for one night as a solo traveler, but for a couple staying two or more nights, might be a bit claustrophobic. In case it might help: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51790-d8109… . Your husband would want to know that those room photographs were taken with a wide-angle lens.