We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

We would like to drive to Oregon from Vancouver, BC, and spend about four nights there. We are mostly interested in the northern part of the coast, closer to the Washington border. The main purpose of the trip would be to simply relax and enjoy some summer weather. I just saw a temperature chart indicating that in July and August, Cannon Beach is not hotter than about 65 degrees F (or about 18 degrees C). Is this really true??? If so, then the place is colder than Vancouver, BC, in which case it doesn't sound too appealing for a summer vacation.

Also, does anyone know of any affordable motels in Cannon Beach, that are not too far away from the beach and the main areas of the town? I'm talking about motels in the $140-160/night range, hopefully clean and not depressing.

Is there any good shopping that we can do in Cannon Beach or Seaside or are those strictly remote, tourist areas?

I have never been to Oregon before and would really like these few days to be a nice, relaxing yet entertaining gettaway from my husband and I some time at the end of July/beginning of August, before our new baby arrives in September.:)

Many thanks!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

The temperature you indicate is about right for the beach. During summer high pressure, the north winds blow in off of the Pacific. Inland one mile and in wind protected areas, the temperatures will climb 10º F or more.

I'll leave Cannon Beach lodging options to others, but you might want to consider Manzanita, about 15 miles south (~25 minutes). The Sunset Surf Motel is across the street from a GREAT, long, wide beach.

http://sunsetsurfocean.com/

My favorite place is the Inn at Manzanita, which is one block off of the same beach. It's a little more modern and a nicer place IMO.

http://innatmanzanita.com/

Manzanita is a smaller town than Cannon Beach by quite a bit, but is more quaint and b/c it set in the shadow of Neah-Kah-Nie Mt, is also more wind protected, which means it will be somewhat warmer on most days.

Cannon Beach is full of little shops and there is an outlet mall in north Seaside.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

Seaside and Cannon Beach are far from "remote" ;-) Seaside is extremely congested and busy; Cannon Beach is also very, very busy. There is an outlet mall in Seaside as well as full size grocery stores and all other services, and of course "kitschy" tourist shops. Cannon Beach has many upscale small shoppes.

Two thoughts for lodging... http://www.cannonbeachlodge.com/v2/new.html

and... www.cannon-beach.net/lodging/cblodging.html

There are many hotels / motels there, although oceanfront may be above your price range. Do book ASAP!

www.cannon-beach.net/lodging/cblodging.html

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

Check out Tides by the Sea, Lanai @ the Cove in Seaside. The outlet mall has some nice shopping and there is also the Historic Gilbert District in Seaside which is fun to stroll through. www.seasideor.com is a nice website for this area. Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

Thank you all so much for your replies. They are much appreciated and every helpful. The most challenging part remains finding a decent motel room - with availability and an affordable price. :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

ecola creek lodge in cannon beach has reasonably priced accommodations for the area. cannon beach hotel lodgings is another option--they have 3 or 4 properties just south of town that offer some reasonably priced rooms, again relative to what rates are in the area.

6. Re: North Oregon Coast - accomodation, weather, and the like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 31, 2010