We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

San Francisco
7 posts
Save Topic
Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

Headed to Cannon Beach for 1 night later this month. Thoughts on Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand for a married couple in their mid-30s? Stephanie Inn will run us north of $500 for the night, while the Surfsand is just over $300. Is it worth the extra expense? By the way, both rooms would be oceanfront. Thanks for the perspective!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

I have not stayed at the Stephanie Inn, but we have stayed at the Surfsand numerous times over the years. Unless you are looking for a place with no children around, and further from town, go with the Surfsand. The Surfsand is an easy walk into the heart of downtown and you can go either along the beach, or on sidewalks. The SI is a much longer walk, and while you can go via the beach, if you try to walk on a paved way you are out of luck. There is an area where the road is windy and there are no sidewalks.

That said, while the Surfsand is family friendly you will find many couples there and you do not feel like you are at Disney;)

These properties are sister properties, so both are very nice. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

I have stayed at both, and Mtngrl hits on the primary differences between them. Stephanie Inn is geared to couples (no kids under 13), and hence tries to create an atmosphere that's more private and intimate. It's not over-the-top luxurious, but certainly very comfortable, with service to match.

As Mtngrl says, Surfsand Resort is more geared to families. And also allows pets, which might make a difference. They did a complete refurbishing several years ago, and though I generally like what they did, the contemporary furnishings almost seem out of place in a beachfront hotel setting. My family loves it though; we've stayed there many times. And as noted, it's got a much better location. My one niggly is the motel next door, which partially impedes views at the south end of the beachfront building.

I'm surprised that both places don't have at least 2-night minimum stay requirements. Sign of the times, I guess......

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

The Stephanie Inn is very elegant and may be the nicest property on the Oregon Coast. If you want quiet and romance, I would stay there. They have a fantastic restaurant also at Stephanie Inn. Surfsand has the Wayfarer, we just dined there a couple of nights ago, it is good but not in the same league as Stephanie Inn. Have a great trip! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

We know that Mtngrl has stayed at the Surfsand, and mistletoe has stayed at both, so have you stayed at the the Stephanie Inn, syrahgirl? Or just had dinner there?

Edited: 1:36 am, June 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

Here we go again...it's "Syrah Says Season."

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer half-Brit.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

Based upon her own posts, Syrahgirl has never stayed at any hotel in Cannon Beach, so I am not sure why she is recommending one based upon being in the restaurant portion of one.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

New to this forum so of course must be the sucker to ask the question. If all you have said is accurate, how can someone comment on places to stay if they've not stayed in any? Sorry, just a silly guy with a silly question :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

LOL Dave, let's see if anyone can answer your question without their posts getting zapped . . .

Sometimes people who spend a lot of time on TA and take lots of photos visit properties and restaurants just to "visit" them and take photos. (Gets that contribution count up, you know!) Sometimes there are "open houses" when a hotel first opens and the hotel offers tours, or sometimes possibly TA posters just drop into a hotel and ask to see rooms.

Then, since the poster has "been" there, they can talk about places and it sounds as if they actually have stayed or eaten there.

Now, I hasten to say that these types of photos seem to be okay with TA, as long as the person does not try to do a regular review of the property or restaurant in keeping with TA's policies about that. It's in the same "category" as if somebody takes photos of a pretty beach for example, simply to show what something looks like.

Many of us are familiar with hotel types, locations and approximate prices, and do make suggestions based on that, of course, even if we've not stayed in them. (Local posters tend not to stay in local hotels!) Same goes for the attractions people ask about, and restaurants to a lesser extent.

But I'm not sure that many would emphatically state that "Hotel X" is "blah blah blah" when one has never stayed there, nor stayed in many other hotels along the Oregon coast . . . nor have not ever even *been* all the way along the Oregon coast. Just as an example.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

Hi half-Brit! I was being a bit facetious but your answer was most excellent.

So in keeping with that train of thought am I safe to assume that although I have been in several hotels in the PDX area but only actually stayed at one, would it be inadvisable for me to become an expert on all the hotels in the Portland Airport area that I set my foot in to enquire about rates (there were many)? What about the ones I drove past? Or the ones that I looked at the room images on their website before I got there and then drove past (making me a virtual expert, no pun intended)? Just a few points of clarification to help guide me on my future musings on TA ;-)

Edited: 7:55 pm, June 11, 2010
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stephanie Inn vs Surfsand Resort?

Incidentally, my post count has risen by 3 on this very topic alone!