We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

My family of 6 (mom and dad and kids ages 22 down to 14) will be flying to Portland for either Nov. 24 through 28 or Dec. 25 through Dec. 31. We were planning on staying in Portland one night but staying most nights at a beach cottage in Cannon Beach. We'll also be driving up the coast one day to Astoria. My question is: will there be anything open in the town of Cannon Beach at these times of the year? Would one month be better than the other in terms of "open or closed" or does it even matter since both months are winter months. We will want to eat out and go to any shops and galleries that are not closed for the season. I imagine it will be wet and chilly but that is not my greatest fear. One time we went to Niagara Falls in the winter and nearly everything was closed for the season. I hope this will not be the case at Cannon Beach. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

Places are definitely open during Thanksgiving at the north coast.

I used to spend Thanksgiving weekend at the coast every year (can't do that now as it is my busy season). Stores, restauants, galleries are all open and looking forward to having you spend some holiday dollars with them.

It is also a great time to be there. The weather can be clear and cool, or stormy. Personally, I LOVE the stormy times. I don't mind, at all, going to the shops during the stormy times, it's actually a fun adventure.

When I am there, I always stay at a privately owned condo at Gearhart. I love to sit and look out the window onto the waves crashing ashore. *sigh*, I wish I could do that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Gearhart
Gearhart
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,697 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

"Closing for the season" really does not happen on the Oregon coast. Sometimes some of the smaller businesses will close for a few weeks, but that usually is in Jan. Only in the teeny tiny non-tourist centers do places close. Astoria of course is a far bigger town than Cannon Beach.

Most everything will be open during Thanksgiving weekend, but some stores will close for Thanksgiving Day itself. Although I have not spent that holiday weekend in Cannon Beach, here on the central coast that is a *busy* tourist weekend. There should be restaurants open for Thanksgiving dinner, but -- be sure to reserve ahead.

Christmas is a little different. Nearly all places close for Christmas day, of course, although will be open and busy up to then. You would have to check to see which restaurants will be open. And nearly everything will close very early on Christmas eve - including restaurants. Smaller businesses *may* be closed that entire week, when the mad buying scramble is over.

Weatherwise, Nov will most likely be better. Wet of course, but noticeably warmer. If you're very lucky, it may only be grey with no rain. It has happened, lol!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

Don't miss the Bridgewater Bistro while in Astoria, in Seaside there is Yummy Wine bar, we have been there several times, our meal last night was again, wonderful. They are closed on Tues. and Wed. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Seaside
Seaside
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

Just thinking..... If it's of interest, and you can squeeze it into your schedule, the weekend after Thanksgiving is a popular one for wine tasting in Oregon's wine country, the heart of which is about 45-60 minutes southwest of Portland. Wineries that usually taste by appointment only will be open too, and it's typical that they'll bring in special food to accompany the tasting. Great fun for wine lovers!

Otherwise, as has been said, places at the coast don't close for the off season. If they take a holiday, I'd expect it more likely during the Christmas - New Year time than around Thanksgiving. Less of a chance of snow in the coast range in November too.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

<< Only in the teeny tiny non-tourist centers do places close>>

That is what happened to us when we stayed in Arch Cape in September.. we had to drive to Manzanita that had only a few places open or to Cannon Beach which had more open.. but one week when we did that, Hemlock was being paved and it was impossible to get around town ! lol ...

I would stay at the SurfSand and enjoy a room with a fireplace... but a cottage sounds good too :)

I loved Cannon Beach at any time of year ..

Mentioned in this post
Arch Cape
Arch Cape
Oregon Coast, OR
Manzanita
Manzanita
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

Yep, the Oregon coast, any time of year, is GREAT!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

Syrah, what did you eat, last night, at Yummy Wine Bar?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

Christmas time in Cannon Beach is beautiful and magical IMO. They have activities, and lamplighting, caroling and the whole town is decorated.

I would go for the Christmas time myself. Ideally I would go the 23-29th instead if you can pick. But yes Christmas is a great time to visit Cannon Beach.

9. Re: Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving or Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 09, 2009