We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October weather

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
124 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
October weather

My girlfriend and I are making our first trip to the northwest in October and we will be at Cannon Beach and Portland. What's the weather like there in mid- October? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October weather

Widly variable is the best way to describe the weather most of the year, but especially Sept, Oct and Nov.

October is the start of the Pacific storm season, so we could have rain and winds in excess of 80 mph or it could be warm and sunny. There's really no way to predict. but if I had to venture a guess, for Portland, lows will be in the 30's and 40's and highs in near 70. For the coast, lows will be in the 40's and highs around 60. That's if we aren't having an early onset of storms.

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October weather

Another way to say what Den has already said would be that Portland area contractors plan to have any construction projects at least roofed in by the middle of October, which they consider the start of the rainy season.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
124 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October weather

That sounds ominous. Now I have to think about changing that for another year. Personally, I I would like to see the area when it's drizzly because that's what I htink about when I think about it there. But the future Mrs. is still brainwashed into thinking a vacation is supposed to be sunny. As long as it's not pouring there, obviously, it could be fun.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October weather

Even if it is pouring rain, and windy, just give the Mrs. a good cup of coffee. It is still enjoyable, IMO. Now you know why us locals say we are "headed to the coast" vs "headed to the beach".

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October weather

Oct is 30/31 days long - which part? I think the others are scaring you off. It's usually damn nice then - this is really the end of the NW summer (early Oct is summer, late Oct is early fall). One simply can't predict when it will rain here - especially now that the weather patterns are so screwed up around the world! We do tend to get shorter days starting in Sept. - Portland's on the same line as Montreal, but it's balmy here right up to early Oct. Many people say the weather here in W. Oregon is similar to that of North Carolina.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Oregon
Oregon
United States
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October weather

What's the weather like on the Oregon coast in mid-October? Probably a whole lot warmer than in New york City!

My sister-in-law lives in NYC and often visits Cannon Beach in October because it usually has beautiful weather then! Now, notice I did say "usually". The Oregon coast weather is nothing if not changeable, but as a general rule, Sept and Oct are pleasant without too much rain. Yes, we do sometimes get a storm, but if that happens while you are here, just hole up in your snug motel room and watch the waves crash. You have a very good chance of experiencing lovely, sunny days with slightly nippy nights. October never has day after day of endless rain.

Portland weather is overall much drier than the coast, and will be a little cooler at night that time of year.

Go ahead and make your plans to visit the great NW, you'll have a wonderful time.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
7. Re: October weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 05, 2009