We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwoods

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
410 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Redwoods

We have a dog that will not do good being boarded. She's fine with daycare but boarding means not eating and other problems. When we travel, she will have to come with us -- all 55 - 60 pounds of her.

There is no time frame for this trip yet.

We are planning to drive down the coast since I have never been any further south than Reedsport. In Brookings, we would hit Samuel H Boardman Scenic Corridor and Alfred A Loeb State Park.

Since we would see the redwood grove at Loeb SP, would it be worth the extra drive to go down to the Redwood National and State Parks in California even though we would not be able to walk any of the trails, etc? Neither one of us has seen big redwoods.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

Mentioned in this post
Brookings
Brookings
Oregon Coast, OR
Alfred A Loeb State Park
Alfred A Loeb State Park
99 Reviews
Brookings, OR
California
California
United States
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwoods

Umm, why would you not be able to walk any of the trails? Because your dog needs to be with you, and they aren't allowed?

I have never been to Loeb SP, so can't comment on that. However, I was in Crescent City, CA a few days ago, and we took the Howland Hill Road through Jed Smith SP. Crescent City is only about a half-hour south of Brookings.

Now, this road is not the best -- it is dirt (not gravel), muddy and potholed in some places. It is suitable for a 2WD car that has decent ground clearance, but not a low-slung sports car. It is narrow and one-lane in many spots. The 4.5 miles of dirt road takes at least 40 minutes to drive without stopping.

That said, this is an incredible drive through absolutely amazing huge redwood trees! You wind through massive trunks, and if you stop and look up at the canopy, it seems a thousand feet tall. There are a number of places to pull off, and several hiking trails. You can easily just walk along the road for a bit with your dog and really feel like you are in the middle of the forest, because you are!

So I would recommend you drive at least as far south as that, it is well worth it to see the big trees.

If you continue south on Hwy 101, the highway goes right through the redwoods south of Crescent City. You will also have spectacular vistas of the ocean. About an hour south of C. City, you will go along the edge of two huge lagoons; it's really scenic.

So hope this gives you a beter idea of the area :-)

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Howland Hill Road
Howland Hill Road
355 Reviews
Crescent City, CA
Brookings
Brookings
Oregon Coast, OR
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwoods

Because dogs/pets are not allowed on National Park trails. They could/might present a danger with regard wildlife, to and from the latter. And there is the fear of disease.

I'll have to try this road; sounds great.

OP, unless you have seen as described, or the NP redwoods, you might be in for a surprise.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwoods

There are only a few Redwoods in Loeb. It's definitely NOTHING like Jed Smith. I'd drive the extra 30 minutes if you really want to see Redwoods. Just driving through the park will give you a really good taste of what these monsters are all about.

Loeb does have some of the largest remaining Myrtle trees anywhere.

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
410 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwoods

Half-Brit, voyaging and dengay --

Thank you all for the replies.

We will definitely plan on driving to the redwoods.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwoods

Best place to see redwoods is Avenue of Giants, a road south of Eureka, once it was 101 paved limited traffic, the big ones are right at roadside. we took that road through Jedediah Smith Park, and found we had short hike to see the best ones. Can you leave dog in car. Our dog ok with short waits in car.

we are going to coast soon amd want to take our dog. I checked a couple of the more popular petfriendly websites, and found they do not have complete lists of pet friendly motels. petswelcome.com was one. Our d-i-l traveled across country using that site with their German Shepherd

We have place in Newport we stay that was not listed. one we used in Manzanita was not. we booked place in Lincoln City that was not. Pets free there. but that may be winter deal We have 12 pound dog so have a few more options.

Mentioned in this post
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Manzanita
Manzanita
Oregon Coast, OR
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redwoods

Half Brit

I was planning to drive the Howland Hill Road in July but I'm renting a Mustang convertible (2nd childhood). Can I assume from your posting that this isn't a good idea?

Mentioned in this post
Howland Hill Road
Howland Hill Road
355 Reviews
Crescent City, CA
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redwoods

Okay, have given this some thought. We saw several regular cars in addition to other pickups and SUV's, but I don't recall a sports car. There are a fair number of potholes, definitely more than a few, and there is a little washboard as you go up the hill on the southern end (we started at that end). Some of them are pretty abrupt. The problem with the potholes is when there is an oncoming vehicle, and you cannot go around the hole. A Mustang isn't that wide, though, so you would have some manuevering room. I guess my feeling is that if you took it *very* slowly, and allowed lots of time, you could do it. If you try to sort of rush it though, I would say no.

We are the last people to add more restrictions on just about any level, but we both felt that the road really should be "one-way". The road on the north end (off Hwy 199) is a bit wider, but actually rougher, since I think a lot of people drive in to the first grove, then go out the same way, thus stressing the road more in that section.

You won't have mud in July, but it will be dusty probably. There is only one do-it-yourself carwash in Crescent City, and it's quite run down, although it did get the truck clean"er". They may have a full service one, though, we can't fit into those in our dually, so didn't look for one!

I realize this is not a definitve answer, but hope it helps :-)

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Redwoods

Think i would see redwoods from a paved road. plenty of opportunities to do that if visiting south of Crescent City. specially in rental

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Redwoods

Thanks to both of you. I guess it's sort of stupid to risk damage to a rent a car. I just like to get off the beaten, away from the crowds, to really enjoy the awesomeness of nature!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Redwoods

When we got onto Hwy 199 from Howland Hill Road and headed back to Crescent City, we passed a number of redwoods in that short stretch. (Zipping by at 60+ mph, though, lol!)

But, I think I remember seeing several places to pull off and park, and walk along trails farther into the trees. This might work for you.

Are you going much farther south of Crescent City? I know there are some just-off-the-paved-highway trails there, but can't remember exactly how far south they are not too far, I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Howland Hill Road
Howland Hill Road
355 Reviews
Crescent City, CA
Crescent City
Crescent City
California