We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Brookings

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Portland to Brookings

Hello! We will be flying into Portland on September 23; driving down to our rental in Brookings. Our flight is scheduled to land around 11 AM. We will get our rental car and head south immediately. We are wondering the best coastal route that will offer us views for the drive south to Brookings.

Also, as a back up, we would like to know a quicker rroute in case the plane is delayed or we start to lose daylight. We just want a couple of options.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

8 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Brookings

Are you flying in and then out. of Portland ? How much time are you spending in Oregon ?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Brookings

end of september light will start to become a factor... if you land at 11am its likely you wont get out of the airport until noon... are you planning to drive directly from Portland to Brookings in one day? If so go the quickest way which is I-5 down to Grants Pass and then head west on hwy 199 and return north on hwy 101 to Brookings...

if you have additional time to get to Brookings there are other options

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Brookings

Thank you. Yes, we are flying in and out of Portland. 9/23 to 9/30.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,425 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Brookings

You are aware of the big fire in Brookings? Unfortunately, it most likely will still be burning and there is plenty of smoke in that area.

Another route which is probably "ike and mike" as far as driving time with the route described in post 2 would be to go south on I-5 to Hwy 42, then west to 101. That highway is pretty fast and once you reach Bandon, it's just under 1½ hours to Brookings.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Brookings

Or, I-5 south to exit 162, then hwy 38 to the coast at Reedsport. Hwy 38 parallels the scenic Umpqua River for a good part of the drive, then passes Dean Creek Elk Preserve a few miles before reaching Reedsport. From Reedsport south, you'd pass some of Oregon's dunes before crossing the iconic Conde McCullough Memorial Bridge into North Bend.

The three suggested routes are a virtual coin toss as to which is the quickest to Brookings.

Edited: 11:07 am, September 04, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland to Brookings

yes the Chetco Bar outside of Brookings is quite large and will be burning in Sept... it appears from latest report it is growing to the east and coastal communities are a having a reprieve...for now. 3kat- you should monitor this fire closely as about a week ago this fire put the entire town of Brookings at a level I evacuation(be prepared to leave)...

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5385/

…arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html…

Edited: 1:03 pm, September 04, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland to Brookings

I should mention I think you should still plan for your trip- conditions can change by late September when cooler weather(hopefully) arrives. I 'm just letting you know the current status and hopefully create awareness

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland to Brookings

Thank you for the heads up regarding the fire. I'm definitely looking into that and monitoring. All the advice here has been very helpful. Our rental in Brookings obviously is paid for. But we may need to pull out of that agreement and get something farther north on the coast.

Reply to: Portland to Brookings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted