We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bend for 2 days in mid-September

We will be arriving in Bend on Sept. 9 near the end of a 6-week road trip with our bicycles (road bikes). We'll spent 1 night in the Portland area (possibly Troutdale, closer to Rte. 26 to Bend) and 2 nights in Bend. From Bend, we'll drive to Crater Lake en route to our next stay-over in Klamath Falls or Grants Pass.

My husband suggests visiting Sisters and Redmond while we are in Bend. I am looking at lodging in Bend, but should we give equal consideration to Sisters or Redmond?

Also, with respect to lodging in Bend, can anyone recommend a nice place for less than $125?

Thank you.

Edited: 2:58 pm, July 11, 2014
Oregon
Level Contributor
785 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Where you decide to stay depends on what you want to do. As a very broad overview, Bend is big and offers hikes, walks, shopping, art, sports, breweries, dining, High Desert Museum, etc. You could drive out to Mt. Bachelor, float the river, hike Pilot Butte. Bend has lots of hotels, motels, inns, B&B's, etc.

Redmond is not far from Bend, and whereas Bend is tourist-focused, Redmond is a residential town. It's the place to be if you want to visit/climb Smith Rock or stay at Eagle Crest Resort. (We recently visited family there and found a great lodging option on the outskirts of town thru Air BnB.)

Sisters is smaller still and the focus there would be wandering through their old-fashioned downtown area for quilt and art shopping.

Again, it depends on what you want to do. Be busy or kick back? Shop? Find a masseuse after your long ride? Opt for fine dining or discover a hangout with local pizza and local beer? If you live in LA, Bend will look like a small town to you, and both Redmond and Sisters will be a blip on your radar. It looks like you'll be there mid-week, so everything should be pretty quiet in all locations. That should bring lodging rates down as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Thank you for taking the tine to share your comments. A friend of ours recommended adding a stop in Bend on our trip so perhaps our focus should be there. That point of our trip will be near the end of 6 weeks on the road and we may welcome a relaxing visit. We most enjoy exploring a region's natural history, walking trails, some bike riding on paved paths away from heavy city traffic, a little shopping and dining.

We live in a small college town on the outskirts of the LA area, away from the heavy congestion of traffic suffered by residents in the larger cities. We actually prefer visiting quiet towns like this rather than the bustle of being downtown in a large city.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Wahiawakid covered it well, though I don't think of Bend as a tourist town of the kind where you get extreme overcrowding and traffic.

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Oregon
Level Contributor
785 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Given this info (natural history, walking trails, some bike riding on paved paths), you might really like to stay in Sunriver which is just south of Bend on Hwy 97.....but may be out of your overnight price range. Traveling south on this highway out of Bend takes you to the High Desert Museum and the Lava Lands Visitor Center, on the way to Sunriver, which has bike lanes, walking trails, etc. in the development.

Hopefully some Bend TA experts (fiveforefun? Mtngrl?) will add their thoughts and recommendations. This is not my area of expertise, but no one had replied so I thought I'd send along my ideas.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

I was just editing my comments to mention the Sunriver area but agree, price range might be a problem. To the OP, try the Sunriver Resort website... it's still high tourist season, cooling off in Bend, but you never know.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g52085-Sunriver_Cent…

Edited: 10:10 am, July 12, 2014
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

I agree, Sunriver fits what you are looking for, although price is a tad bit tight. Sunriver itself has condos that might come in on budget, so call and ask. Otherwise, from experience I have found their house rentals to be higher priced that similar homes that other rental agencies have, FWIW. That said, we have rented homes there off of Craigslist with very good results, and of course without paying an agency the rates are lower. I would also check VRBO. The agency we have used is Sunray Inc, so you might call them too.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Thank you for the great links, Voyaging. I already had a tab open for Visit Bend. Great info!

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Sunriver sounds great -- but I've gone ahead and made reservations to stay in Bend at McMenamins Old St. Frances School. The reviews are very favorable and it sounds like a very unique place to stay during our 19th anniversary. :-)

I should have mentioned we primarily enjoy road cycling... in fact it's what we do most around home. I mentioned paved paths only to distinguish from gravel or off-road cycling, as we may be taking our road bikes. On the Visit Bend site I learned about the Three Sisters Scenic Bikeway so will explore that for an opportunity to get out on the bike while in Bend.

We plan to drive to Bend from Portland Or, stopping at Sisters and Redmond for short visits before heading to Bend. I would appreciate suggestions for things to see and do in those towns as well.

Thank you again!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Oh I think your McMenamins choice is great! I didn't mention it because I figured it was above your price point, but I am glad it worked out. I love that place:)

Oregon
Level Contributor
785 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Yay! Thanks all for adding your thots. I, too, am fan of McMenamins. Always a good time at one of their locations. Happy anniversary 715jenk & enjoy your time in Oregon. :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bend for 2 days in mid-September

Will you be going via the historic highway to visit the sights in the Columbia River Gorge, including Bonneville Dam?

A "must see" and its on your route.

Columbia River Gorge

columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r… oregon.gov/ODOT/…columbia_river.pdf

Edited: 6:26 pm, July 12, 2014