We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
344 reviews
Save Topic
Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

We will be visiting June 7&8. Is the Scenic byway road completely open yet? If not, should it be by then? Also, is the road up to the Paulina Overlook open yet? Trying to finalize my itinerary and I can't find this info anywhere! Thank!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
683 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

I'm also interested in the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway. I'm considering going that way from Crater Lake to Bend on June 3rd.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

You can check road status here: www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?curRegion=5

Or call 511 as your trip nears.

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/ATCU.asp

Hopefully a local can advise on this forum.

Edited: 11:20 pm, May 18, 2014
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

Thx! I see it's closed now...anyone know if it should be open by June 7-8th? Really hoping to see the lakes there!

Bend, oregon, USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

The road will likely be open by then. They try hard to get the road open by Memorial Day, or the latest the first of June. No guarantees, just telling you history.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

Great! I know there's never a guarantee, but that makes me feel optimistic ;-)). Other than the coast, the scenic byway is my other "must see"! Crater Lake is on the list too, but it seems like I should do that in Aug or Sept, so I think we will save that for another trip!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

You should be able to get into Crater Lake, but may not be able to out north entrance. And highly unlikely you can do east rim road in total

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

The Cascade Lakes Highway is open although parking and lake access likely will be limited because of snow between Mt. Bachelor and Elk Lake. The road to Newberry Crater is open but the road to the top of Paulina Peak is not. The North Entrance to Crater Lake also is open as is the West Rim Drive to Rim Village and the South Entrance but the rest of the rim road likely will not be open within the next couple weeks. It's been warm here in Bend so maybe the snow melt will accelerate but even if it doesn't you will be able to access some spectacular scenery. Enjoy your trip.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

Thank you very much for the update. I can't wait to see the area, it sounds/looks spectacular!

9. Re: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway & Newberry Volcanic Monument Ques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 26, 2015