We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bend speed trap

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bend speed trap

Did you see the column in Big O about the speed trap on or near Colorado Ave. Some pedestrian sort of started to step off curb on corner. Then he didn't but stood there. One car went through, so writer followed. He got ticketed $200 plus or minus. They even said it was a speed trap. Well this guy was regular writer, a familiar name. He and his wife were so teed they left Bend. and they had a big weekend planned. So he wrote a letter that made the paper. As he said city of Bend will get their money but businesses will lose double that and more.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bend speed trap

Saw that article. Best reader comment was something like, "WOW, now that's a power whine." Seriously? No wonder he didn't see the pedestrian, if he didn't see the big orange signs announcing that there was pedestrian right-of-way enforcement in progress a block or so before the crosswalk.

Saddest part is the writer probably didn't learn his lesson and will still not yield for pedestrians. I don't understand why he feels the need to blame an entire town for his inability to follow the rules of the road. Seems selfish and narcissistic to think that because he paid for a hotel room and ate at a local restaurant he should somehow be able to do whatever he wants, without consequences.

Full disclosure: I frequently walk to work so I'm grateful that someone is holding drivers accountable for my right to not die when I'm legally (and defensively) crossing the street.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bend speed trap

They frequently have similar exercises in Eugene and Springfield, which are well publicized in advance (including location and times), prominently posted and with visible police presence...and they still nab dozens and dozens of violators on the days of the exercises.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bend speed trap

It never ceases to amaze me when the local constabulary sets these "safety operations" up. They are advertised and well marked but still there are lots of seemingly stupid people who just drive as it they are the only ones on the road - completely ignoring pedestrians.

I always wonder if they learn a lesson after a $200 ticket. Probably not!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bend speed trap

Don't think he mentioned it was well signed.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bend speed trap

Like o'poppa said about Eugene and Springfield - it was well (and possibly over) communicated. Details were on the local news (TV, radio, newspaper). They posted exact times and locations on Twitter and Facebook too. Even if they weren't paying attention to those channels (and what good local newspaperman worth his salt isn't paying attention to the local - if not social - media?) there were orange "diamond" signs in the areas where the stings were operating. I went through the area where he was ticketed and saw the signs. It was pretty clear what was going on, they were clearly marked for enforcement and not construction.

Frankly, based on the number of tickets issued (30 cites & 11 warnings; out of those only 8 cites & 3 warnings for failing to yield to peds) they couldn't have been *too* stringent. A news story reported that most of the cites were for cell phone usage and there were a few seat belt tickets too.

Personally, if in doubt I slow down try to make eye contact with a ped and give a little wave. Usually they will either cross or step back and wave you on. It doesn't take that much time or effort to try to communicate between vehicles / bikes / peds so... why not try?

Edited: 2:00 am, September 21, 2013
6. Re: Bend speed trap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 23, 2014