We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending 1st anniversary in Bend--suggestions?

Corvallis, Oregon...
3 posts
Save Topic
spending 1st anniversary in Bend--suggestions?

My husband and I just decided (right now) to spend this coming weekend in Bend to celebrate our 1st anniversary. We went skiing at Sisters a few weeks ago so we probably won't go skiing again. We are moderately outdoorsy (light snowshoeing, hikes--no 10 mile treks) but also love good food and drink. What are our best bets for a Saturday morning to Sunday evening trip? We haven't booked a place yet but will probably Priceline something tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending 1st anniversary in Bend--suggestions?

Congratulations and happy anniversary!

The Hilton Garden Inn is in the Old Mill District so it's close to shopping, the Deschutes River trail, restaurants, and breweries. It's an easy walk, drive, or bike cruise to downtown. Many of our out-of-town guests have stayed there and everyone has had a good experience. It's a nice balance of cost and comfort, in my opinion.

If you are looking for something on the higher end check out the Oxford Hotel (downtown) and the Pine Ridge Inn (Old Mill). I doubt either property offers rooms on Priceline though.

If you are looking for something special to commemorate the weekend look into the Oregon Trail of Dreams sled dog rides at Mt Bachelor.

Hope this helps you get started. Do you have other questions?

Corvallis, Oregon...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: spending 1st anniversary in Bend--suggestions?

Thank you!

We found the Trail of Dreams website, it looks like so much fun. I made a reservation for Sunday. I'm so excited I am kind of freaking out.

We'll probably get in around noon on Saturday. The forecast is calling for snow so I don't know how much outdoor exploration we'll be able to do. I think we'll check out some breweries. Any other suggestions?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending 1st anniversary in Bend--suggestions?

I hope you enjoy the sled dog tour! Hopefully you will have good weather.

I recommend trying Crux Fermentation Project for lunch - interesting variety of beers made on the premises and good food. I am partial to the pulled pork quesadilla.

Deschutes Brewery (the brewery itself, not the pub) is another interesting stop that can be fun in poor weather. They have guided tours of the brewery, ending in a tasting room where you can try several samples for no charge.

For other breweries, the "Bend Ale Trail" from Visit Bend is a good guide, but keep in mind that it is only updated yearly so not everyone would be represented. Noteworthy additions are Crux and Worthy Brewing.

The river trail from the Old Mill is especially beautiful in the snow. If you are staying nearby try to take at least a short walk. There are currently owls and eagles nesting in the area.

I think the High Desert Museum (just south of Bend) is a nice attraction - there are exhibits indoors and outdoors but they rarely get much snow.

For events, check "The Source Weekly" (free newspaper you can pick up at many locations around Bend) and hackbend.com.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spending 1st anniversary in Bend--suggestions?

Not sure if you would be interested in www.bendbrewbus.com . They have a brewery trail tour as well as one that does a brewery, winery and distillery. Bend Distillery (where they go) is pretty neat and has some great vodkas (and a few others).

Edison Butte Sno Park is great for short trails for snowshoeing. The trails are well marked and there are a number of routes you can take there.

We just got back tonight from several days near Bend.

5. Re: spending 1st anniversary in Bend--suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 25, 2014