We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkable Bend

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Walkable Bend

I will be staying in Bend on a weekend in Aug. I would like to be easy walking distance to pubs and dining, night time entertainment. Which of these hotels would you recommend.

Riverhouse Hotel and Convention Center

Red Lion

Shilo

La Quinta

Seventh Mountain.

These are the only ones I could find in my budget, that had availability. Suggestions?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walkable Bend

Most of the pubs, dining and nightlife are located close to downtown. There are restaurants and a couple breweries in the Old Mill District.

The Riverhouse and Shilo at the far north end of town, near the (old) mall. The restaurants are typical chains with little night life.

Seventh Mountain is up Century Drive on the way to Mt Bachelor and is not "in town".

La Quinta is on the south end of town on the "main drag" (3rd Street) but it's a few miles south of the center of town.

Red Lion might be your best bet. It's on the "main drag" (3rd Street) but just east of downtown. It is "walkable" but you won't be just around the corner. Deschutes Brewery's Pub, BBC, Brother Jon's Ale House, and Silver Moon are all downtown pubs that are about 1/2 mile walk from that hotel in downtown. It isn't a scenic walk, but it's probably safe as long as you're alert and aware of your surroundings.

It's about a mile further south to the Old Mill District from downtown.

Are you planning to bring a bike? It's common to see folks whizzing around, even (especially?) at night. If you do ride, please remember to bring a white headlight and a rear red "blinkie" for your bike.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walkable Bend

Thanks fiveforfun,

I now found the Ameritel, which has changed to Hilton is within my pricing. Is that one kind of close? From the sounds of things, I would like to be close to the Deschutes, but I guess there are cabs, right? I dont want to be driving after sampling all night, and definately not a biker either. I prefer pub food to chain restaurants.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walkable Bend

The Hilton Garden Inn (formerly Ameritel) is adjacent to the Old Mill District - shopping and restaurants. Brew Werks is a block away. Deschutes Brewery (the brewing facility, not the pub) is a short walk across the river and up a hill. Crux Fermentation Project is 1/4 mile away.

Depending on the route you take, it's just under a mile from that hotel to downtown BUT it's a very safe and pleasant walk. And yes - cabs are also an option or look for "Sober Dudes" (http://www.soberdudes.com/).

Compared to your previous options, I strongly recommend HGI/Ameritel. Nice place and a great location. Our friends from out of town typically stay there and like it a lot. We "put up" my husband's parents there for their wedding anniversary and we were happy with the service and rooms.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walkable Bend

Phoenix Inn is downtown. I don't know their prices.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walkable Bend

Five has got it good. We were at a Chris Issack concert recently and could see the hotel has changed We have stayed at the Marriott Town Place which is within walking distance to Old Mill but not downtown. Marriott Fairfield is on the west end of downtown. Walk able. Old Town Bend has a great mini Portland vibe. I enjoy it a lot. Great town.

6. Re: Walkable Bend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 14, 2013