We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eight days in Bend.

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Eight days in Bend.

Woo-hoo! I'm finally getting a real vacation and will be spending 8 days in Bend 7/23-7/31. My wife and 16-month-old beh-beh and I will be staying downtown, and I just realized last night that I haven't the foggiest idea what we're going to do.

I lived in Bend in the 80s and have been back dozens of times since, but never for more than a day or two. So I guess I'm asking what you locals would do for eight days in Central Oregon if, you know, you were me.

Here's the vague list of what I have so far:

Many lobster corndogs at the blacksmith.

High Desert Museum cuz the beh-beh loves animals.

Rent some bikes and try that river trail system.

Some sort of fondue because it reminds me of volcanoes.

Tumalo reservoir--does that still even exist?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, we're barely 30 and relatively poor so we hate golf, malls, and chardonnay.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eight days in Bend.

We head that direction several times a year. Near the High Desert Museum is the Lava tube, and then across the road from there is Lava Butte. The tube/cave is especially good on a hot day as it is so cool in there. Lava Butte I would suggest going early as you are given a time to go to the top. Bring bread for the chipmunks. There are paths through the lava fields at the bottom that are really interesting.

Hike to Benham Falls. Rent a canoe at the Sunriver marina. Wander around Drake Park. See what music events are going on either in town or at Sunriver in the village.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eight days in Bend.

Benham Falls great- havent been there in years until last May and sad to find it a fee park(4bucks)-but I guess thats expected now. Wanted to have a picnic there, but too cheap to pay 4bucks for an hour at a picnic table.

Maybe a picnic and campfire at one of the lakes on century drive? Sparks Lake?

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eight days in Bend.

I was interested in the lobster corndogs and looked at the Blacksmith's on-line menus. I see a crab corndog but not a lobster corndog. Is it something they don't normally put on the menu?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eight days in Bend.

I am no help at all and just want to request to see the Entire Vacation on YouTube shortly after you return.

Until then, have a faaabulous time and besos to beh-beh H.

Auntie Scarlett

Oregon
Level Contributor
425 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eight days in Bend.

Free concerts at Les Schwab Amphitheater on Sundays, in Drake Park on Thursdays (Munch n' Music). Bring a blanket to sit on.

The Oregon High Desert Classic (equestrian event) is going on out at JBarJ and the BehBeh might like watching the horses. Admission and parking is free.

You can wander Saturday Market (downtown) and Farmer's Market on Wednesday. There is also a farmer's market on Friday at St. Charles on the lawn but only go if you are shopping - it's small but good.

The county fair starts on the 30th in Redmond. Not sure what admission will be this year. Lots of animals to look at!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eight days in Bend.

chinookgirl--Is that to drive there? We always go from Sunriver whether its snowshoeing, hiking or biking up to there and haven't had to pay a thing. Course the last time was in Jan. that we did this.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eight days in Bend.

I've had fondue at both McMenamins and the Astro Lounge and both were good (though I am not sure if beh-beh can go into Astro). I heard of someone else serving a fondue special once a week but am apparently suffering from some-timers. Hmm...

Are the lobster corndogs still on the menu at Blacksmith? They change things up every once in a while and I haven't seen them since last year.

You might even want to try a canoe ride if your little one is mellow. In town they can be rented from Alder Creek (near the Colorado Bridge and McKay Park).

The free music events (Munch & Music, or Summer Sundays) can be quite crowded - the one on Sundays at Les Schwab might be better with a little one.

Have you been to Working Wonders (childrens museum) in the Old Mill District?

Juniper Pool has a really fun outdoor swim area with wading pools and fountains. Your little one might be too little for the waterslide but maybe the grownups can take turns? ;-)

My kids also get a kick out of "the funny farm" at Deschutes Junction and Peterson Rock Garden.

For a fantastic bargain meal check out Jake's Diner (hwy 20) on Tuesday night - they have AYCE spaghetti and the kid size is 99 cents!

4 Peaks Music Festival starts that Friday but it's $$$$$

Jefferson County fair starts on 7/23 and it's a little more low key than the Deschutes County fair, which starts on 7/30. DC fair admission is $9/adult this year.

If it's super hot and you just need air conditioning check out the free summer movies on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Another great refuge is the public library downtown. They have some great kids programs.

Also the tour of homes is the weekend of the 25th and sometimes it's fun to see what a cool $1M will get ya.

Good resources for family oriented events:

www.cofamilynews.com

www.hackbend.com

www.visitbend.com

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eight days in Bend.

Drive up to the day use area at Prineville Reservior or Cove Palisades States Park (Lake Billy Chinook) and spend the afternoon playing in the water with your toddler. The water is warm (sort-of), the weather hot and both places have nice beaches at the day-use areas.

For years we spent a week or more in the summer at those places. We took our boat and camped. Both kids learned to waterski by the time they were 6 yrs old.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eight days in Bend.

MtnGrl-

The pay area is at the Benham Falls Parking lot-it is the one right behind Lava Butte. I'm pretty sure that is Benham Falls, but maybe I am mixing it up with another?

The FS ranger was there and checking for passes while we were there. We just went down another FS road and pulled off to the side of the road and had picnic there.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eight days in Bend.

chinookggirl--You are right, same place. I think it is because we come from within Sunriver when we go there, so are not at a designated parking area for it.