We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's to do in mid-May

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
1 post
Save Topic
What's to do in mid-May

My husband and I are headed to Bend in mid-May. I am very excited to experience an outdoorsy vacation. We are interested in doing some whiteriver rafting for sure (we have not done it before), but we are up for anything that sounds like fun. It's just the two of us. Recommendations are appreciated, especially the whiteriver rafting.

Oregon
Level Contributor
91 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's to do in mid-May

I am originally from FtWorth and have lived in Oregon since 1986. The biggest surprise for you is going to be how frigid the water is. I don't even think they do white water trips till late June and then it is still colder than any water anywhere! Actually as of this weekend they are still skiing on Mt Bachelor in Bend!

It should be lovely in town, but will be very chilly at night. It still freezes at night up into June. The town itself is lovely and has nice dowtown and nice parks and walking trails. Be sure and go to the Newberry Vocanic Monument south of town and the High Desert Musueum. If you like biking or golfing go to Sunriver. It is a planned vacation community 15 miles south of town and is gorgeous and has miles and miles of bike trails and you can rent bikes there. Also if you are at all into fishing it is some of the best river fishing anywhere. Drive 15 miles north to Sisters. The drive has gorgouse views of the mountains and it is a quaint western town with lots of quilt shops. You will be awed by all the beauty. Where are you staying?

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's to do in mid-May

agree with bdysrf57... on all of the sites to see.

Unfortunatly i'm not much help as far advising a specific outfitter. But water will be cold!!! I think the main places where rafters put in and out are around warm springs or maupin - both north of bend. The upper deschutes (near sunriver -south of bend) is more calm -and i believe you can rent personal canoes in the calmer waters etc.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's to do in mid-May

This was recently mentioned in another thread, but I think it was the Portland board. ;)

Sun Country Tours runs several trips out of Bend. Their season started on May 1. A good first trip is their "Big Eddy" run. It's not a long trip so even if it's cold you should be fine. The guides are really nice and it's a pretty trip. They take your picture as you go through the Big Eddy rapids if you need a souvenir picture.

Trails are still a little muddy - or even snowy - depending on where you go. If you ask around at any of the outdoors shops (like REI at the Old Mill Shops) they should be able to tell you about current conditions.

I can tell you that the (short) trail up to Tumalo Falls is open. That is a nice short walk from the parking area and the waterfall is beautiful.

If you really like being on the water, you can rent a kayak or canoe and paddle on the river without having to leave town! (Check with Alder Creek in Bend.)

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Oregon
Level Contributor
428 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's to do in mid-May

Forget the cold water! You'll be having so much fun you won't even notice it! If you want to watch others in the water, the annual Pole, Pedal, Paddle takes place on the 19th. Details at www.mbsef.org.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's to do in mid-May

Thanks for all the posts. I plan on being in Bend May 24-25 and needed ideas on what to do, other than the High Desert Museum.

To others visiting Bend, in addition to TA, you may want to go to http://www.visitbend.com & http://www.bendbulletin.com for more activity ideas. There are also trail condition reports and events, although local stores and clubs will have more up to date info.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's to do in mid-May

You could also check out Wanderlust Tours. They have excellent guides and have tours that include caves and volcano tours, GPS adventures and they do canoe trips too.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
85 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's to do in mid-May

The VisitBend website only covers businesses and hotels, etc. inside the city limits of Bend itself, as they are funded by a city of Bend room tax. Visit www.visitcentraloregon.com for Central Oregon Visitors Association. They have more information.

Wanderlust for nature tours and caving- too early for canoeing the high lakes. They still are doing snowshoe trips.

Cog Wild for guided bike trips.

Chockstone Climing for Rock Climbing.

Sun Country for rafting

Rock Springs Guest Ranch for horseback riding

Fly and Field Outfitters for fly fishing.

Have a great time!!

8. Re: What's to do in mid-May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, August 31, 2009