We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

Where best to take my 9 y/o daughter in the range of July 28 - August 5?

I have several options around the west... one of which involves 2-3 nights at one of the resorts around Bend.

Eagle Crest might fit my budget, I've been to Sunriver a handful of times (long before my daughter was born), and I know enough about Black Butte to be only a mild charlatan. I'm not the camping type, though we did very well with Curry Village tent cabins in Yosemite last year. I'm not really familiar with other locations around there to know what my daughter would like. Perhaps staying in Bend is smarter?

Please help me!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

If you do a search on here of the resorts, you will get a lot of information (less so though regarding Eagle Crest). Mistletoe knows Black Butte really well, and I know Sunriver. Either would be great. As far as budget, you can do either on the high end or the low end. For Sunriver, rent a home or condo as that will save you more money than staying in one of the lodges. We always use Sunray Inc. for rental homes there, but there are others. Renting a home through Sunriver itself tends to run higher price than the other management companies. Also check out Craig's List and VRBO.

2. Re: POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:50 pm, June 07, 2007
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

What do you plan other 4 or 5 days? Assuning you are visiting some of our natual things and want 2 or 3 days to not do much. in my view Sun River wins

When our 4 kids were that age we tried both Sun River and Black Butte and went back to Sun River, several times, more for a kid to do there. good bike riding area (places we rented came with bikes), nice pools for swimming, horseback riding, canoe rides on easy flowing Deschutes without ever leaving Sun River

Sun River has a town center, Black Butte does not. Not a lot in town center but a few things to interest a kid.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

My daughter...

Swimming is her favorite. She seems to prefer streams to pools if it's anywhere near hot outside.

I know Sunriver well enough to be dangerous, and I know she'd like biking the place. She's not too fond of hills, unfortunately, even some mild climbs we did in Yosemite Valley last year.

She'd like the horseback... but I'd break the horse's back.

A three-mile hike last year didn't go so well. She enjoyed a mile hike through the Hoh Rain Forest two years ago. I think 2 miles is the limit of her tolerance.

On the other hand, she has her urban side. Two of her top choices involve amusement parks. She likes to ride trains, busses, and ferries. Of course, I could take care of a little of that on our next Portland visit.

The other 4-5 days- we're probably heading up to Washington. I might throw in Northern Idaho and Silverwood (she's actually been there, but she was 3 at the time, so she doesn't remember).

Oregon
Level Contributor
428 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

Eagle Crest has a nice outdoor pool, horseback riding, bike paths and if you are here the first weekend in August, you can hit the county fair and get in the "amusement" portion as well. Not much "urban" appeal in Redmond but it's easy to drive to Bend to fill that need. There's also an amazing draft horse show at the resort in July but I don't have the exact dates. She may also enjoy golfing at EC. They have a really fun "short course" that involves mostly putting. Do not confuse this with a putt-putt course - it's a real golf course, just smaller. My kids loved it when they were younger.

6. Re: POSSIBLE Central Oregon stay this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 31, 2009