We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family trip for the weekend...need tips and insight.

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
family trip for the weekend...need tips and insight.

My family (me and hubby, 3 kids (4, 6, and 6 months) and the in-laws are heading to Tulsa for the weekend in a few weeks for something to do. We live in OKC.

-we are planning to stay at the Wyndham (formerly the Radisson) because of the waterpark inside the hotel (leapin' louies lagoon). Is this a good bet? I think my kids would love this!

-Is the aquarium worth the $$? I mean, is it great? I've seen reviews that it's like a 1 hour activity. Well, it will cost us over $50 for our party of 4 adults and 3 kids WITH the coupon I have that gets kids in free. Not sure if this is a worthwhile way to spend $50.

-How about the Discoveryland USA show of "Oklahoma"? I think my in-laws might just take the 6 year old (girl) to this one as it goes pretty late and I don't know my 4 year old boy will sit through it.

-How about the Space Museum? I am going to use my science museum network membership to get us in there so it won't cost us much extra but is it worthwhile for a 4 and 6 year old? Are there hands-on activities for kids?

The 2nd night my in-laws and husband will take the older kids to the Bartlesville Kiddie Park. I will stay with baby at the hotel since she goes to bed early. Any tips for that place?

Is there anything else really worth doing? I know the zoo there is supposed to be great but it is SO HOT and we have a great zoo here in OKC too, so I'm leaning towards not doing that. Anything else that is cool (both experience wise and temperature wise) we should hit before heading back? My in-laws are considering staying an extra night with the older kids if there is something more worth doing there (I'd come home with baby and husband since he has to be back at work Monday morning).

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Tulsa, OK
Destination Expert
for Tulsa
Level Contributor
207 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family trip for the weekend...need tips and insight.

Welcome to Tulsa; hope your trip turns out well.

I don't know anything about the Wyndham; sorry. Your description sounds good for your children.

The Aquarium is nice & if the heat continues, probably a good place to be during the day. You might check their website for discounts. If there's a chance you might come back in 12 mo., some kind of membership might be a good deal. Googling "Oklahoma Aquarium discounts" might yield some other ways to save money.

I have heard good things about the Air & Space Museum/Planetarium. Please post a review after you go!

While I do recommend Oklahoma, I'm not sure if children ages 4 & 6 would last the evening. Depending on the weather, the show is outside & how they handle heat may also be a factor.

For more kid activities in Tulsa, check out www.tulsakids.com.

Hope you have a good trip!

2. Re: family trip for the weekend...need tips and insight.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 05, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Tulsa