We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Things Tour

San Francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Big Things Tour

I'll be visiting Tulsa in early December and want to take a day to do a driving tour. I want to know if this would be the quickest route and if you think the weather will cooperate. I'm from the west coast and not used to real weather. Here's the Itinerary:

1) Golden Driller at the fairgrounds in Tulsa

2) Liquid Life Bottle just off of Hwy 44

3) Take 44 toward Big Cabin to see the Giant Indian on 69

4) Stay on 44 to Vinita to the one time Biggest McDonalds

5) Cut over on 60 to Nowata to see the Bowling Ball Fence

6) South on 169 with a stop in Oologah to see the Large Cow

Return to Tulsa.

I appreciate your opinions since I'm not familiar with the area or driving speeds. I'll have my 4 young-adult children with me who live in Tulsa.

Elkins, West...
Level Contributor
359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Things Tour

Sounds like a full but entirely do-able day to me. But don't forget the blue whale near Catoosa; you'll be right in the neighborhood.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1017

San Francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Things Tour

Thanks Twoprofs,

While searching that site I also found the worlds tallest concrete totempole. Can't wait to see them in person! These are great monuments to people's ingenuity and imagination. They're a real window into the past. It will be interesting to see if my kids are as entertained as I imagine people were in the past. Imagine driving route 66 without radios, and cd's, and video players, and video games. I guess one way to keep you going would have been the next attraction. The time in the car with the kids is what I'm looking forward to the most though.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
461 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Things Tour

I read this weekend that they are going to remodel the mcdonalds, so keep track of when they close it. since it is on the turnpike, i am not sure how you can turn around to go back or perhaps you are continuing in that direction.

too bad our great american indian never materialized.

it will probably be cold here, but I doubt if you will see snow. quite an eclectic choice of places to see. Might want to go see the space needle at ORU

San Francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Things Tour

Thanks for the suggestion of the prayer tower. While checking it out on Google Earth I found a picture of the giant prayer hands. That fits the theme nicely of big things. Also found a giant tooth at a dentists office on Peoria and 55th. I'm not sure how many of these I'll be able to see, but I'll post pictures when I get back in December. I'm open to suggestions of other big things if you can think of any.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Things Tour

I posted pictures of our trip under the Things To Do page for Tulsa. You can aso review the pictures here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51697-c129267/Tulsa:…

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Things Tour

Thanks for posting! Fun to see these things from a visitors perspective.

7. Re: Big Things Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 15, 2010