We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tornado's

Which Tulsa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
tornado's

Hi

We will be in broken arrow and probably other places around the area in may. We will only be there for about 4 days. My question is this, what chances are there of seeing a tornado. I'm not wishing for them, I know they can be of great concern to locals, but it would be interesting to see one.

Hope someone can help.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tornado's

The specific chance of seeing a tornado is weather dependent and the general chance is very low.

For the USA, the total number of tornadoes in May averages around 160. For the Tulsa area, the average number for the entire year is between 5 and 7.

I've been living in Oklahoma over 30 years and have never seen one. But then, I don't go looking for them even when I know they are in the area. On the other hand, a close friend had his house destroyed on May 3, 1999.

Still, while the time of year is right, I wouldn't count on seeing any while you are here.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tornado's

Hi Modcon

Thanks for that. It's one of those funny topics, like I said in my post, I know what they are capable of and would not want to see one that did any damage or god forbid killed anyone.

We look forward to our visit and will enjoy our time there, tornado's or not.

On a lighter note, my wife has just said thank goodness for that,she would not want to come anywhere near one!

Anyway, thanks again and see you in may.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tornado's

I perfectly understand your wife's feelings and agree 100%!

We had a small tornado (F1) touch down in Edmond (on the northern border of Oklahoma City) just a few nights ago. It kept skipping along like a stone on a lake across a small section and mostly tore up roofs and caused some tree damage. But at least one of the homes it hit lost almost the entire roof. As far as I've heard, no deaths and only some very minor injuries.

And yes, you are correct - it's not something a sane persons wishes for, but they can be fascinating.

However, if there is a tornado anywhere in the area and it is still light enough, you can count on seeing live pictures on your TV.

:)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tornado's

Modcon

Thanks for that, glad you understand where I'm coming from. We cannot wait to see what oklahoma has to offer, we have not been that far north, we arrive Atlanta,Ga and do the southern road trip taking in New Orleans,and heading up toward Texarkana and even into Texas. We will then head up your way before going back east toward Memphis & Nashville.

We suffered a hurricane in Orlando back in 1999 and that was scary.

We have done the southern road trip about 5 times now and sadly this could be our last trip stateside so we want to see as much as we can.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, we appreciate it.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tornado's

Make sure you visit the Oklahoma Aquarium while in Tulsa! (It's located in Jenks - a suburub.)

http://www.okaquarium.org/

:)

Have fun!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tornado's

Will check it out, thanks

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tornado's

I guess there's always a chance but I lived in the Tulsa area for 2 years and another 2 years in Lawton and I never saw one - except on those wonderful weather camera's that are all over Oklahoma.

Tulsa, OK
Destination Expert
for Tulsa
Level Contributor
199 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tornado's

Having just spent an hour last night in my basement after the tornado sirens sounded, I'm glad I didn't get to see one; saw a couple when I was a child but none as an adult. Last night just watched the non-stop local TV weather coverage.

The weather coverage here is excellent and if there are tornados while you're in the state you might just get to see some "live" local TV video weather coverage.

For a good book on tornados, focused on a really big one that came through Oklahoma in 1999, you might read "Storm Warning, The Story of a Killer Tornado." There were many tornados in Oklahoma that night, the biggest of which was "on the ground" from Moore, Oklahoma (South of Oklahoma City) until just outside of Tulsa (about 100 miles). Another night I was really glad I had a basement--and really glad the big tornado "pulled up" before coming into Tulsa.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Oklahoma!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tornado's

Thanks for that, I will try and find something to read about them. It's a pity my wife does not share my views on tornadoes. She will be very happy if she does not see any.They are showing a program over here called 'stormchasers', it's a group of people doing research into what causes tornadoes and they are dashing about through Oklahoma,texas panhandle,south dakota,kansas..chasing the things.

They never seem to make it into one but you have to admire their spirit and bravery!

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tornado's

I was born in, and have spent a total of about 40 years living in Oklahoma, and except for the few years I've lived in Moscow, the others were spent in Colorado and Texas, all of which can have tornadoes. I've never seen a tornado. I think that's probably true for most Okies. Of course, like someone said, the sane ones head for shelter when there's a tornado in the area, but I once read a funny internet list to the effect that, "You know you are an Okie if..." One of the items on the list was, "When you hear the tornado siren, instead of heading for cover, you go outside to get a good look." So, Moviemaker, maybe you're just a misplaced Okie. You might also consider a visit to the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, OK. Their tour info can be found at

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/aboutnssl/tours.php

Hope you enjoy your trip!