We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roast beef in Shawnee

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Roast beef in Shawnee

This is an extremely long shot, but...

I lived in Shawnee in the late '50s and I barely remember some nights after church we would go to a small cafe (diner?) owned and operated by a black man. He made some kind of beef dish that was very, very spicy. I think it was black pepper-type spicy, but not sure. Does anyone remember this place and can tell me what that dish was? It is a distinct memory of something that tasted really good!

We lived on East 11th Street, but I have no idea where the cafe might have been located. Given the time frame, it was probably located in whatever section of town was considered "black". Hopefully, Shawnee is past that.

Shawnee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roast beef in Shawnee

Just a guess, but it sounds like it might be the Elite Cafe. Located off of Farrell Street. It's been closed for years.

2. Re: Roast beef in Shawnee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Shawnee
Recent Conversations