We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango Co via Oklahoma

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Durango Co via Oklahoma

We're planning our next trip to Durango from Louisiana and want to travel by interstate as much as possible. Although it will add abt 1.5 hrs to the drive we're considering taking I-35 to OK City and then I-40 west. What's the drive like west of Ok City? Do you go through a lot of cities and towns? Any places you can recommend for lunch? Thanks

Vienna
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango Co via Oklahoma

There isn't a lot west of OKC...at all. Basically you drive through about 3 hours of nothing then you get to the Texas panhandle and drive through another couple of hours through nothing, then you hit New Mexico and drive through nothing until Albuquerque. It is a pretty boring drive. Everything is flat and you don't pass through any towns/cities worth seeing. I've made the drive (from OKC to New Mexico) along I-40 several times and pretty much just drive though nothing until I need gas, stop, use restroom, fill up car and continue.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango Co via Oklahoma

There's a lot to see west of OKC all the way to ABQ. Already 3 interesting museum in Clinton OK, Elk City OK and McLean Tx. Also OKC is worth at least one full day (Cowboy and Heritage museum, Brick Town, Memorial Side, State Capitol. ) You won't see those places if you stick to the interstates and they are not very excting as the previous poster has said In Amarillo you'll find The Big Texan, the yellow building along I40 for food.

OK hosts one of the best stretches for R66 if you are interested www.historic66.com

Tet

3. Re: Durango Co via Oklahoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City