We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day of photography

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
One day of photography

I'll be stopping in Oklahoma City a few different times in the next couple of months, for just a day each time. I'll be coming in on the bus in the morning, walking throughout the downtown area looking for photography shots that well represent your city, then get back on the bus by late evening and head elsewhere.

So basically I'll be wandering around town with a camera (and a tripod for night photography of the city).

My question how safe am I leaving from the Greyhound station/stop in the morning, then walking throughout the downtown area (Brickyard, I believe is one destination) and then back to the greyhound station late in the evening?

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day of photography

I fully believe you won't have any problems walking around OKC during the day.

And I don't believe you will have any trouble in the evening, depending on how late you are thinking it will be.

The outside of Union Bus Station (main stop for both Greyhound and Jefferson bus lines) looks pretty ratty, like most bus stations (I've not been inside in many years). And there are often homeless and some unsavory looking people in the general area.

I personally have no qualms walking downtown any time between sun up and midnight. But not everyone is as comfortable with that.

Go here:

www.news9.com/category/161407/crime-tracker

And use 427 West Sheridan as the address and you can see all of the crimes committed in the area for various months last year, and also the individual date and time involved for each one . (There is nothing for 2012 yet).

Then you can decide how comfortable you are with the potential risks.

:)

Edited: 11:29 am, February 18, 2012
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day of photography

Thanks Modcon! Looks like I'll be heading back to the bus station between 9pm and midnight.

Is there anywhere to get a good skyline photo of the city without having a vehicle for transport? Again, I'm limited to foot travel while in town, but hoping there's a park or something on the edge of town that would offer a clear shot of the city lights?

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day of photography

Tomorrow they are opening the new I-40 and permanently closing the old I-40 - an elevated roadway which is only a few blocks south of the heart of the downtown area. I'm not sure if the authorities would mind if you hiked up one of the ramps and walked it to see if you could find a vantage point that would work or not. To be honest, I never drove that roadway looking for a good place to take a photo of the city. :) But it's something you might want to consider - without any traffic you might be able to find a spot that fits your needs. I think it gets about 50 feet or so above ground level.

I'll keep an eye out for something suitable and also ask a couple of photographer friends if they can think of anything. In the meantime maybe someone else will have an idea.

Good luck!

Edited: 4:41 pm, February 18, 2012
Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day of photography

Jason. you may also look south at our new Scissor Tail pedestrian bridge. If you look at it just right, it may actually look like one but I don't see it. But, it would make for some real nice photos, also there is a small art museum just a little east and north from the bus station that has some beautiful glass sculptures that photograph very well.

BigDave

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day of photography

I asked a photographer friend and he pretty much said there is not a good place within walking distance of the bus station that you could get a good shot of the downtown vista. At least not without using photoshop to combine several different images. This is mainly due to the newest downtown building - the Devon tower. It's just too tall. He also expressed reservations (as did I) about how the authorities might take someone climbing onto the old I-40.

I'll keep checking, though.

:)

And BigDave has a good suggestion. In addition there is some really interesting Art Deco architecture around the OKC Museum of Art as well as the large Chihully sculpture in the two story lobby window.

Edited: 6:56 pm, February 22, 2012
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day of photography

Great help all! Can't wait to visit your city and check it out! I'll be sure to update as I do.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day of photography

As you head east from the bus station, towards bricktown, we have a pretty cool train station that may make for some nice shots. They may even let you go up to the platform where you're apt to find some nice views of the bricktown area. Good luck and have fun

BigDave

Edited: 11:47 am, February 23, 2012
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day of photography

A little south of brick town, still walking distance (but with the construction you may not want to walk there late at night) is the OK river that might make for some good pictures. there are some nice boathouses. South of bass pro in Bricktown is the new OK Land Run monument that you might like to see, too.

Of course a cant miss spot, and just blocks from the train station is the Bombing Memorial. The myriad gardens, with the Crystal bridge, might be a good spot for uniquely OKlahoma photos as well.

Also, I would have no qualms about walking downtown or Bricktown area.

Edited: 9:24 pm, March 04, 2012
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day of photography

Thanks for the continued information! I'm excited to come, and hoping it is next week for the first time. And I am looking forward to paying my respects at the Bombing Memorial, I've never been to Oklahoma City but I'll never forget that tragic day!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day of photography

If you can get the photos at night, the Memorial is pretty spectacular looking. Good luck!

mod