We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

We will be stopping for 2 nights to catch our breaths. Here is my plan and please provide me some insights for improvements.

Hampton Inn Bricktown for hotel

Restaurants: Pops in Arcadia, Johnny's in El Reno, and Big Truck tacos.

Sights: OKC National Memorial, Cowboy Museum, Science Center

Elkins, West...
Level Contributor
359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

The Hampton is nice enough and the location is good. It's not special--neither unique nor historic nor elegant nor anything special--but it's a newer, nicer Hampton. You don't say who the "family" is on this trip, but it should be fine, and it has a good indoor pool area.

Restaurants are kind of personal; these are all very informal, lunch kind of places to me, but they're good choices if that's your style. Personally, I'd add a nicer spot for a dinner or two, but maybe that's just me.

The Chihuly glass is back on display at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art (okcmoa.com) and is well worth a visit even if you're not a big art lover. A trip south to Norman, about 15 miles from downtown, to the Sam Noble Natural History Museum might be a good addition, too; great place for kids.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
76 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

I agree on the OK museum of art. You might also consider the OK history museum.

I think the cowboy museum is amazing and you cant miss the Memorial, as you noted.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
76 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

I agree on the OK museum of art. You might also consider the OK history museum.

I think the cowboy museum is amazing and you cant miss the Memorial, as you noted.

Cattlemans would be a unique dining spot.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
215 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

If you want to walk within a close distance to your hotel, you might consider walking through the new gardens at the Botantical Gardens. The city has done some improvements and it's just a peaceful, relaxing get outside and relax in downtown OKC.

Lighthouse Lady

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

Allow one evening to stroll around Bricktown. There are lots of nice restaurants in the area.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

Your hotel choice is good, center of Bricktown and the general OKC area.

Bricktown is a nice place to walk around, the canal is nice and restaurants are okay. Depending on the season you might want to attend a AAA Redhawks game or Thunder game (both walking distance from your hotel choice). Bricktown also has the Banjo museum, I haven't been but heard it is interesting.

The memorial is a must, if you go in the evening it is beautiful. The museum at the memorial is good too, it will take at least an hour.

Try the 45th Infantry Museum which is very cool and free.

Also the Cowboy Museum is fabulous and will take you at least an hour. Science Museum is great for kids or even try the zoo and see our baby elephant!

Pop's makes for a great little road trip, the zoo and cowboy museum are also north of downtown, so might be part of a good loop.

I second Cattleman's, they do breakfast and lunch if you are trying to stay budget friendly.

Nic's Grill, if you are in town Monday-Friday. Amazing breakfast and burgers, worth waiting in line for.

Classen's grill makes classic breakfasts and fresh oj!

If you hit Big Truck Tacos, you should drive about a mile further down the same road and try their sister restaurant Mutt's Amazing Hot Dogs.

If you drive through Shawnee OK, stop in and try Hamburger King or Van's Pig Stand, very yummy choices!

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
114 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

Wondering what ages of your "family" might be. If you do decide to head south to Norman for the Sam Noble museum, which is great by the way, you might also want to stop in at this super cool museum. http://museumofosteology.org/ My kids are 15 and 19 and they loved it.

I like your choice of hotel but might also suggest the Residence Inn close by marriott.com/hotels/…

Pops and Big Truck are great places to eat but be prepared to wait as both sometimes have long lines. LOVE them though.

Our zoo is a must see here as well. Hope you have a great time!

8. Re: I will be traversing though OKC for family Road Trip USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:49 pm, June 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City