We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay....?

wildwood, nj
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay....?

We are stopping at OKC for one night, July 14, on a month-long, cross-country trip from New Jersey via Memphis.

We plan on arriving around 4 p.m., dining at Cattleman's Steakhouse for dinner, making a visit to the Stockyards area and perhaps a brief visit to the OKC Memorial.

In the morning, we'll spend a few hours at the Cowboy Heritage Museum before heading off Amarillo.

Our group includes my husband, myself and four kids: 13, 11, 11, and 8, so we need either a suite hotel arrangement or two rooms.

We are on a budget--33 nights of lodging sure adds up so we are some camping, some cabins, some hotels).

Given our brief stay in OKC, we are planning on a hotel stay. I am hoping to score 2 rooms on Priceline for cheaper than a room at an Embassy Suites or the like, but we'll see.

So here's where I need your help...

Is there an area to avoid in choosing a one night stop-over hotel? Also, how far is the airport or other hotel areas from our areas of interest?

And finally, do you think our itinerary is doable for our short stay? If not, what would you do without?

Thanks for your help!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay....?

The I-40 and Meridian corridor has relatively easy access to the Stockyards and Western Heritage Museum. Some of the hotels to look into are Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites (4400 Highline Blvd), Hilton Garden Inn (801 S Meridian Ave), the Hyatt Inn (1818 S. Meridian), Embassy Suites (1815 S. Meridian), Sleep Inn (4620 W Enterprise Way), Marriott Courtyard (4301 Highline Blvd) and the Hampton Inn (1905 S Meridian).

You could also try the Hampton Inn (300 East Sheridan) or Residence Inn (400 East Reno) in the Bricktown area, but those may cost more due to their location.

Since you are headed West, the Heritage Museum takes you north of I-40, so you will have to backtrack, but this is easily done from there using I-44 to I-40 (and just as easy to get to from the downtown/Meridian area).

Are there any places to avoid? I would suggest you not stay in the vicinity of the Western Heritage Museum. And use your judgment about really inexpensive hotels.

If you have any questions about a specific property you can always ask here.

:)

As for the itinerary - it depends on how long you are planning to stay at any of the sites. The Memorial Museum closes at 6PM, so a 4PM arrival will not allow you to go inside, but the outside area is open 24-7.

The Heritage Museum is open 9AM to 5PM, 7-Days a week.

And, if you haven't found it yet, check this website - http://www.stockyardscity.org/ - for information on Stockyard City.

wildwood, nj
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay....?

Thanks...

Actually, I only thought we'd visit the Memorial, not the museum this time.

And thanks for the directions. That will help.

It seems like the things I'm targeting are all within about 10 miles of each other. Is that right?

Would a ride from the Stockyards to the Memorial be more than 20 minutes. How about from the Stockyards to the museum? Is parking an issue?

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay....?

Stockyards to the memorial is less than ten minutes. Stockyards to the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is about 15 minutes.

The Western Heritage Museum has ample parking in a dedicated lot.

The memorial has a pay lot next door, but if you go in the evening, you should have no problem finding a nearby parallel spot. Meters aren't checked after 5:00 p.m.

The memorial is very nice after dark, at it's perfectly safe. Usually a lot of people there, including park rangers.

The only thing I can think to tell you to avoid are the hotels calling themselves "Bricktown _____". I think there is a Bricktown Inn & Suites or something like that. These are not in Bricktown and are about a mile away in a slightly sketchy area. The only hotels actually in Bricktown are the Hampton and the Residence as mentioned by modcon.

4. Re: Where to stay....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, October 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City