We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth the drive from OKC to Cherokee center in Tahlequa?

Dallas, Texas
5 posts
worth the drive from OKC to Cherokee center in Tahlequa?

Me and my fiance have to be in OKC from Dallas to house and pet sit in the near future. I have a pretty set itinerary of what I want to do in OKC, but i was wondering if it was worth making the almost three hour drive from OKC to the Cherokee cultural center in Tahlequah. We both love history so that isn't a problem but i mean is the size and scope of the museum and exhibits make the drive worth it. It's not like we can get a hotel since we have to take care of animals so we need to be back in OKC at nighttime. So is it enough stuff to see for a few hours then get dinner near by and come back?

3 replies to this topic
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
73 reviews
97 helpful votes
1. Re: worth the drive from OKC to Cherokee center in Tahlequa?

You could spend several days in Tahlequah in my opinion. Lots of history there and it is near some beautiful country drives along the river, hills , NSU campus, etc. We love it there! Here are just a few things you might do:

Cherokee cultural center, Ross museum, Prison museum, Judicial muesum at court house, Spider gallery, old village that has the demonstrations, Adams corner village, the Murrell home now called Hunters home, Cherokee gift shop, Veterans Memorial by the new tribal offices, and Ross Cemetery are just a few things to see and do in the Cherokee Capitol.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: worth the drive from OKC to Cherokee center in Tahlequa?

All good suggestions above but if you like history and tend toward Native, the Chickasaw Cultural Center will be closer and allow plenty of time to see that area (I think the round trip drive would be 3 hours).

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
133 reviews
215 helpful votes
3. Re: worth the drive from OKC to Cherokee center in Tahlequa?

We all travel at our own pace but when I visited Tahlequah earlier this year I was at the Cherokee site for about 2.5 hours and that was covering everything except for the 1890s village (which we walked through but all the structures were locked because it was freezing temps and they probably figured nobody was crazy enough to wander around there that day). If that helps in any way.

Reply to: worth the drive from OKC to Cherokee center in Tahlequa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted