We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

Montevideo, Uruguay
6 posts
Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

My family and I are planning our return to the US after living in South America for 7 years. We're thinking of going to the Oklahoma City area. We want 5+ acres, rural but close enough to get into town for restaurants, shopping, etc. After a few days of internet research, it seems like Cleveland county south and east of Norman looks about right.

We want as much freedom as possible. This includes farm animals, trailers, houses, tiny houses, RVs, hunting, fishing, off-grid living... we're very conservative and mainly want to be left alone by govco... as few permits, regulation, and restrictions as possible.

I also need reliable internet. Non-oversold 30 megabit over 4G is fine. But I'd prefer fiber.

Is that area a good area for what we want? Or should I be looking north (or some other direction) of OKC instead?

Realistically, what's the tornado threat?

We're planning a trip around December to see the area in person and maybe look at properties.

Thanks

18 replies to this topic
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

I don’t know about internet coverage in those areas but would assume they have very good service so close to OKC. As for the rest, generally, Oklahoma is a state which prides itself on being rugged individuals, leaving people alone to live their lives the way they choose as long as they obey the law, without a ton of regulatory control and excess taxation.

Tornados are a real threat, but there are some things you can do to indicate that threat. Invest in a tornado shelter. Our entire family has under the garage floor shelters and keep them stocked with water, flashlights, a radio, batteries and snacks. Turn your shelter’s GPS location into the local emergency service director so they will put yours on their map of shelters to check in case of an emergency. Also, just be weather aware. Nearly everyone I know has a weather app on their phone with updates of weather occurring where they are. After a while, however, you learn the signs of a bad weather day and just become more vigilant on that day. Best of luck searching for your acreage in December. We bought 30 acres several years ago on which is a log cabin and while we don’t live there, we enjoy the solitude.

Edited: 9:18 am, July 29, 2018
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

*Mitigate not indicate.

Also, you can build a safe room in your house if you are building or use the downstairs as your tornado shelter. (My husband suggested I add that part, lol)

Edited: 9:25 am, July 29, 2018
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
133 reviews
3. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

Bips has covered most of your questions, but here's a recent article on cell and internet services:

normantranscript.com/news/oklahoma/east-norm…

In my experience, internet connectivity in rural Oklahoma is spotty and to determine what is available in a specific area you would probably need an address to determine providers.

Montevideo, Uruguay
6 posts
4. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

Thanks for the replies. I have an app on my that phone tests internet performance. Assuming my cell phone works when I get there, I can run run the speed test while visiting various properties. It probably all comes down to distance from the cell tower and whether it's oversold. Judging from the t-mobile map, things are looking good.

I saw a video on another forum which has me thinking about Stillwater now.

I've heard that the school situation in oklahoma for teachers is terrible. My daughter is a teacher and claims she wants to work. I think reality is that she'll be a stay at home mom and maybe teach online part time. So it wouldn't really matter. But so far this looks like the only real down-side (for us) that we can find. We have some school-age children. And we have a fairly strong dislike for public education. So we're more likely to either home-school them and/or do something online, or perhaps find a good private christian school.

Is the school situation there still a nightmare for students and teachers or has that improved recently?

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

Teacher salaries were recently increased, but I believe they are still close to or at the bottom. But the actual starting salary can vary by district with a state mandated minimum. I cannot comment on the current student experience as it has been a long time since I had children in school.

Stillwater is a great small town, but I have to say Norman is also nice and is a lot more convenient to OKC.

I would visit both to decide which better suits your needs.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

As a former public school teacher, I found schools are different based on which system you end up in. For example, my grand kids go to Grove schools, a rural school system in a town of 13,000 people. They were invited to attend an innovative evening sponsored by Google and the OKC Thunder in which they were testing students to find out young girls aptitude and interest in computer programming and specifically coding. My grand daughter was the only student there who had been exposed to coding and it had occurred in 3 different classes. She’s 10. The other students from Edmond schools and OKC schools had not been taught coding at all. The superintendent’s of each school system have a LOT to do with the direction their schools go. Ours is amazing and students consistently score very high on standardized tests as well. I told you that to tell you this...it is not easy to find out whether a school system is good or bad. Too many factors.

Montevideo, Uruguay
6 posts
7. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to my daughter.

Okmulgee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
52 posts
131 reviews
8. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

I wouldn't move to Oklahoma. I'm sure you're better of in CO or TX. This is coming from a native Okie!

Montevideo, Uruguay
6 posts
9. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

For Colorado, my mother always told me that if I can't say something nice...

Texas is awesome in every way except for two: It's hot. Hotter than OK. And the property values are double what they are in OK. In short, I can afford to move to OK and pay cash for a place. But I can't do that in Texas*

* based on our requirements. I'm sure I could move to Abilene or Amarillo and afford a place just fine. But in Texas, all of the software development jobs are in the big cities. And anything commutable distance to Dallas or other large cities where those jobs are is just cost prohibitive.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
73 reviews
10. Re: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?

Every one of my cousins live in California and all but two have moved back to Oklahoma, paid cash for their homes and are living “high on the hog” as we say because the cost of living is so much lower. I have another cousin whose husband is probably going to take a pay cut just so they can move to Oklahoma. One reason...they just had to take their guns in and have them modified, by LAW.

Reply to: Why should I or should I not move to Oklahoma?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted