We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from Detroit

Indy
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from Detroit

WIll be coming to CP Aug 12 early am--Leaving from Livonia, MI about 6 am or so.

I see the Turnpike heads south, but Hwy 2 looks like a 2-lane rd about half way from toledo to Sandusky. We will be pushing it to get to the Breakers Express in time to take advantage of early entry to the park--goal is to be at the park gate by 9-9:30.

Will traffic be heavy that early in the am coming into Sandusky/CP on a Saturday?

Which route will be fastest in this scenario?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Livonia
Livonia
Michigan
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from Detroit

i would stick to the turnpike. Rt 2 can get congested, and the speed limit is less (yeah, i know how you michiganers drive;-) )

also... are you able to check into your room that early i nthe AM? do they send the proof-of-paying-guest things in the mail? i wouldn't think you could get in that early if you haven't checked in a guest yet, and i've never heard of them allowing that early of check-in... Let us know!

Indy
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from Detroit

actually, i'm from miami but live in indy (since 89). will be at a family function for in-laws in livonia friday night, so thougth we'd hit cp on the way back for a day or two.

i called breakers express, and even tho we would not be checking in, th elady said since we have a reservation they would sell us the discounted tix that am, goto the park, then checking later that night.

one thing i am looking into is AAA discounted tix and then just getting a room for less--if we wind up not getting there till 10 then the advantage of staying on the cp property is diminished, and we are checking out sunday am anyway,

soooo, discounted tic via AAA + non-property room + parking may be less than discounted tix + breaker express room...

will post when i find out.

thanks for the tip about the highway.

Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from Detroit

White out,,

From Livonia, it should take you no longer than 2 and 1/2 hours to get to Cedar Point, so if you leave by 6:00, you should be fine. Traffic on Saturday morning should not be an issue. We have taken both of the routes you mentioned and usually it ends up taking about the same time. If everything goes well on Hwy 2, it will be a little quicker, but if you run into a problem it will end up taking longer. Hwy 2 goes through a bunch of little towns, so you never know what you will encounter. We usually take the turnpike, unless there is some major construction going on, you mentioned AAA, check with them about construction projects on the tp.

As far as the hotel goes, you will not be able to check into your room that early in the morning, but you can register and will be able to get into the park early. We do it all the time.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Point
Cedar Point
761 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming from Detroit

thats cool they'll give you the tix before check-in. and ditto... traffic that time of day shouldn't be too bad. i guess either rt 2 or the turnpike that time of day would be about the same. rt 2 puts you closer to CP, can drive faster on the turnpike.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
361 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming from Detroit

Just to let you know, we live in Livonia, and took the Ohio turnpike, left on a Saturday, around 6 am. (we were actually heading to M. Beach). Anyways, we didn't have any real traffic. And the other post is fairly correct you will probably reach C. Point in 2 1/2 hours (maybe less). I know we left our house(5:45 am)stop for breakfast on turnpike right before we pickup I-77---which is quite a ways past Sandusky. I think it was around 9/9:30 when we stop. This trip was the first part of July.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
6. Re: Coming from Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 12, 2009