We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

Sparta, Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

Hi all!

I'm planning to go to Cedar Point on opening weekend this year (first time ever, so excited!) and was wondering if anyone has gotten the Fast Pass on opening weekend and if it's worth it? Since it seems they're opening a weekend earlier than normal so we'll be there before the Memorial Weekend rush, wasn't sure if it would be worth the cost if it's going to be less crowded than normal.

Thanks for any input!

Edited: 12:52 pm, February 21, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Cedar Point
Cedar Point
761 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

Even though there's no big new coaster this year - and terrible weather could certainly play a part - I'd still expect opening day to be packed.

Last year, the weather was very cold and windy, many of the major rides were closed throughout the day, yet the park was extremely crowded. Lines were 2 - 3 long hours for the major coasters, and Fast Lane passes sold out by noon. There was a line winding through the parking lot just to get in the front gate when it opened.

Of course there was also a brand new coaster, with 4+ hour lines drawing people.

Sunday however, was very manageable.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

Memorial Day weekend this year is early this year, but I still believe after opening day weekend.

Also, in May, it's better to go on weekdays as opposed to weekends. Note the park is open later beginning in June.

Also, the water rides, best in the warmth of the day between noon and 3 p.m. in late spring (consider getting a locker near the water rides for towels, shoe changes (water shoes), etc., when you first arrive at the park).

Cedar Point definitely is less enjoyable when it's packed, and the park apparently doesn't limit admissions.

The big coasters sometimes have lulls in riders between 4-7 p.m., so perhaps take a late lunch and plan to ride through dinner time.

Make alternative plans in the event of stormy weather which may close the big rides. The Lake Erie islands (see discussion in the following travel article) or attractions in Cleveland (one hour to the east) may be your best bets.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

Enjoy Cedar Point!

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Point
Cedar Point
761 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
503 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

My advise would be to wait until you got there. You can buy a fast pass while you are there. Last year they sold them through out the park. One good website for questions on Cedar Point is www.pointbuzz.com.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Point
Cedar Point
761 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Sparta, Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

Thanks so much for the information!

We're getting up their Friday afternoon so I'm defintely planning to visit some of the nature parks or area around Erie before we go back to Breakers, I have a few palces in mind that we'll try out if weather gets bad. I'll definetely get a fast pass for Saturday but will probably skip Sunday then based on how it's sounding.

I appreciate the information from yall :)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

Perhaps check out the Magee Marsh, just west of Port Clinton. There's a good birding center and a beautiful wild beach there in addition to the famed Magee Marsh boardwalk.

See post 4 here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7197559…

You may be coming at the tail end of the warbler migration. Beware that whether warblers are at Magee Marsh or not is greatly dependent on weather conditions. The warblers understandably like tail winds to aid them in crossing Lake Erie. You should be able to find websites reporting current conditions at Magee Marsh.

Edited: 6:39 pm, February 24, 2014
Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Cedar Point Opening Weekend Fast Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 13, 2015